The actor apparently has too much on his agenda to take on a starring role in a stage musical. For starters, Paramount is developing the Harlan Coben novel Six Years as a potential star vehicle for Hugh Jackman, and Fox is eyeing another installment of his X-Men spinoff The Wolverine. “I have greatly enjoyed the collaborative process on Houdini,” Jackman said in a statement. “Ultimately, though, I wasn’t able to commit to the time this role will require. I have tremendous respect and admiration for the creative team and I wish everyone the best. I know they’re well on their way to making something extraordinary.” It’s the second high-profile departure from Houdini this year. Back in January, Aaron Sorkin pulled an escape act from the upcoming show in which he was to make his debut as a librettist. He also had to pull out because of scheduling difficulties, less than a month after Jackman boarded the project from composer Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Pippin, Godspell).
Hugh Jackman Vanishes From Broadway’s ‘Houdini’, Cites Time Commitment
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Bone Tomahawk' Adds Five To Cast; Kristina Lauren Anderson To Adapt YA Novel 'Invisibility'
- TV Academy's Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen From Hall Of Fame Plaza
- SoftBank Eyes Stake In Legendary Pictures As DreamWorks Animation Talks Cool
- 'Inherent Vice' Trailer: Joaquin Phoenix Stars In Paul Thomas Anderson's Latest
- Naomi Campbell To Recur On Fox's 'Empire'; Tina Casciani Joins CW's 'Jane The Virgin'
- Fox Searchlight Promotes Ray Strache To SVP Acquisitions & Co-Productions