EXCLUSIVE: On the heels of Blumhouse Productions‘ supernatural hit Insidious: Chapter 2 crossing $150M worldwide, Blumhouse and Universal are beefing up their sequel to this summer’s micro-budget horror-thriller The Purge. Frank Grillo (The Grey) will lead the cast of The Next Chapter of The Purge under returning Purge helmer James DeMonaco who is also writing and producing. Plot details are under wraps but there’s plenty of opportunity to explore the dystopian world established in the first film, which starred Ethan Hawke as a security system designer protecting his family from home invasion on the one night each year when the cops take a day off to let crime run rampant. The movie opened in June and grossed roughly $90M worldwide on a $3M budget. Blumhouse Productions’ Jason Blum, Sébastien K. Lemercier and Platinum Dunes’ Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form will produce The Purge 2, which marks the latest Blumhouse project in Blum’s first-look deal with Uni. The sequel is already set for a June 20, 2014 debut. Grillo most recently popped up in the Sly Stallone-penned Jason Statham actioner Homefront but has been building momentum of late with roles in End of Watch, Warrior, Zero Dark Thirty. He’ll appear in Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier next April and is currently filming A Conspiracy On Jekyll Island with Minnie Driver, AnnaSophia Robb, Ed Westwick, Dianna Agron and John Leguizamo. Grillo is repped by Management 360, CAA and attorney Erik Hyman.
Frank Grillo To Lead Horror Sequel ‘The Purge 2′ For Universal And Blumhouse
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- 'Zeroville' Adds Seth Rogen, Megan Fox & More; Brad Carter Lands 'The Revenant;' Noah Segan Enlists In 'War Pigs'
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Trailer Smashes Viewing Record; More Footage Coming
- Dark Sky Dips Into Postapocalyptic Thriller 'The Well'
- 'Banshee Chapter' First Virtual Reality Film To Hit Oculus Rift
- 'Insidious: Chapter 3′ Scares Up First Teaser – Video
- Kiernan Shipka, Meg Ryan Board Teen Comedy 'Fan Girl'