EXCLUSIVE: Fox 21 has optioned the Chas Smith book Welcome To Paradise, Now Go To Hell: A True Story Of Violence, Corruption And The Soul Of Surfing to adapt into an hourlong drama for cable. Television 360 is producing along with Justin Manask, who manages the author. The book was just published by HarperCollins. A former war reporter turned editor at large for Surfing Magazine, Smith has written about the adrenaline and crime-filled world of surfing on Oahu’s North Shore. For two months in the winter, the Pacific storms create monstrous waves that draw surfers from all over the world in search of building-sized waves. It transforms the laid back coastal towns into a mecca for surfers, but often a nightmare for residents because of the collision of surf and crime. That counterculture seems an interesting one to explore for cable. Manask and attorney Darren Trattner made the deal with Gotham lit agent Ryan Fischer-Harbage.
Fox 21 Options Surf Saga ‘Welcome To Paradise, Now Go To Hell’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- James Cameron On 'Avatar' Sequels: 'You Will Sh*t Yourself With Your Mouth Wide Open'
- Fox Green Light Starts 'Independence Day' Sequel Countdown
- Sony Hacker Paralysis Reaches Day Two – Update
- Leslie Zemeckis Sells Book On Burlesque Siren Lili St. Cyr
- Weinstein Collars Pharrell Williams, Gwen Stefani For 'Paddington' Tune