EXCLUSIVE: Fox 21 has optioned the Chas Smith book Welcome To Paradise, Now Go To Hell: A True Story Of Violence, Corruption And The Soul Of Surfing to adapt into an hourlong drama for cable. Television 360 is producing along with Justin Manask, who manages the author. The book was just published by HarperCollins. A former war reporter turned editor at large for Surfing Magazine, Smith has written about the adrenaline and crime-filled world of surfing on Oahu’s North Shore. For two months in the winter, the Pacific storms create monstrous waves that draw surfers from all over the world in search of building-sized waves. It transforms the laid back coastal towns into a mecca for surfers, but often a nightmare for residents because of the collision of surf and crime. That counterculture seems an interesting one to explore for cable. Manask and attorney Darren Trattner made the deal with Gotham lit agent Ryan Fischer-Harbage.
Fox 21 Options Surf Saga ‘Welcome To Paradise, Now Go To Hell’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Fleming Jr
- Ben Affleck, Others Stumping For Bradley Cooper's 'American Sniper' Performance
- Did Sony Or Exhibitors Kill 'The Interview?'
- Did We All Help North Korea Hackers Murder Free Speech This Week?
- Sony Pictures Acquires Robert Rodriguez & His Frank Frazetta Homage 'Fire And Ice'
- Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
- Anthony Mackie, Helmer Justin Simien 'Make A Wish' At Paramount