Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment‘s Despicable Me 2 took in $80 million in physical and digital sales and sold roughly 4.5 million units in its first week of home entertainment release, the companies announced today. The animated sequel has now become the best-selling animated Blu-ray title in its first week, surpassing 2010’s Despicable Me which previously held that distinction. Digital consumption is also strong, as Despicable Me 2 additionally hit #1 as the best first-week digital sales of all time. Theatrically the pic, starring Steve Carell as the lovable supervillain Gru, has raked in over $918 worldwide. The Despicable Me franchise is nearing $1.5 billion in worldwide box office.
‘Despicable Me 2′ Breaks Blu-Ray, Digital Sales Records In $80M Home Vid Debut
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- DreamWorks Animation Shares Score On ‘Home,’ But Is It Enough?
- ‘Cinderella’ Returns To Top Of Offshore Box Office; ‘Home’ Rounds $48M – Update
- New ‘Jurassic World’ Teaser: Bystanders Carried Off By Pterosaurs
- Bart & Fleming: A Mea Culpa; Frank Sinatra Re-Cast; Tent Pole Assembly Line
- Miroslav Ondříček Dies: Oscar-Nominated Cinematographer Of ‘Amadeus’ Was 80
- ‘While We’re Young’ Springs To Lively Debut For Noah Baumbach