Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment‘s Despicable Me 2 took in $80 million in physical and digital sales and sold roughly 4.5 million units in its first week of home entertainment release, the companies announced today. The animated sequel has now become the best-selling animated Blu-ray title in its first week, surpassing 2010’s Despicable Me which previously held that distinction. Digital consumption is also strong, as Despicable Me 2 additionally hit #1 as the best first-week digital sales of all time. Theatrically the pic, starring Steve Carell as the lovable supervillain Gru, has raked in over $918 worldwide. The Despicable Me franchise is nearing $1.5 billion in worldwide box office.
‘Despicable Me 2′ Breaks Blu-Ray, Digital Sales Records In $80M Home Vid Debut
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Red Band Society' Bus Ads Pulled Over Offensive Language Referring To Octavia Spencer
- Hot Trailer: Christoph Waltz & Amy Adams In Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes'
- Fox Moves 'Assassin's Creed' Out of 2015; Sets 'Deadpool' For Feb. 2016
- Ruben Fleischer, David Bernad & Justin Spitzer Sell Workplace Comedy To NBC
- R.I.P. Publicist Bob Palmer