Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment‘s Despicable Me 2 took in $80 million in physical and digital sales and sold roughly 4.5 million units in its first week of home entertainment release, the companies announced today. The animated sequel has now become the best-selling animated Blu-ray title in its first week, surpassing 2010’s Despicable Me which previously held that distinction. Digital consumption is also strong, as Despicable Me 2 additionally hit #1 as the best first-week digital sales of all time. Theatrically the pic, starring Steve Carell as the lovable supervillain Gru, has raked in over $918 worldwide. The Despicable Me franchise is nearing $1.5 billion in worldwide box office.
‘Despicable Me 2′ Breaks Blu-Ray, Digital Sales Records In $80M Home Vid Debut
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Team
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Terry Keenan Dead: Longtime Business Reporter-Anchor At CNN, CNBC & Fox News
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC