Oscar-nominated Waltz With Bashir and The Congress director Ari Folman has set his next project, a family-driven animated film based on the life and diary of Anne Frank. Folman will write and direct. Production outfit Purple Whale Films says this is the first time a director/producer team has been granted full access to all the archives of the Anne Frank Fonds Basel, which was founded in 1963 by Anne’s father Otto Frank. Purple Whale is a new Belgium-based shop that is co-owned by Folman’s Israeli company Bridgit Folman Film Gang, and by Diana Elbaum’s Belgium-based Entre Chien Et Loup. Frank’s moving story has been told in several film and TV adaptations, including George Stevens’ 1959 multiple Oscar-winner The Diary Of Anne Frank. Folman, who has emerged as one of Israel’s most important direcors, said today, “Bringing the Anne Frank Diary to all screens is a fantastic opportunity and challenge as there is a real need for new artistic material to keep the memory alive for younger generations.” Production is slated to begin in winter 2014. Folman’s 2008 animated documentary Waltz With Bashir was nominated for a Best Foreign Language Oscar. His most recent film is this year’s The Congress which opened Directors’ Fortnight in Cannes. It also just scooped the European Film Award for Best European Animation. Drafthouse Films and Films We Like acquired North American rights last summer.
Ari Folman To Helm Animated Film Based On Life & Diary Of Anne Frank
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $220M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow - International Box Office
Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For 'Good Will Hunting'
Latest Film News
- 'I, Tonya' Ices Robust Weekend; 'Disaster Artist', 'Shape of Water' & 'Call Me By Your Name' Expand – Specialty…
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow – International Box Office
- Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For ‘Good Will Hunting’
- ‘The Room’ Filmmaker Tommy Wiseau Pitched Himself For Next ‘Star Wars’ Movie
- ‘Darkest Hour’ Is Gary Oldman’s “Man On A Mission” Movie
- Jake Gyllenhaal’s Fight To Mount ‘Stronger’ And Play A Real-Life Superhero