Looks like a direct appeal from a Bonded up Dame Judi Dench and her Philomena co-star, writer, and producer Steve Coogan can cut a bit of rating cloth with the MPAA. The Weinstein Company today won its appeal to have the initial R-rating the awards-season hopeful received changed. Philomena will now have a PG-13 rating. The Stephen Frears-directed film fell into the R-zone because it has two uses of the F word in it. The MPAA traditionally only allows one in a PG-13 pic. But, in no part likely also to Weinstein lawyer Bert Fields’ work on the appeal, they obviously changed their mind today. “We owe this victory to Barbara Broccoli, producer of the James Bond series, Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes who because of their relationship with Judi Dench gave permission to spoof the ratings system using the M character. We know that went a long way into shedding light on the themes of the movie and the fact that the PG-13 rating was correct. We are glad the MPAA has a good sense of humor and with the cooperation of Barbara and her team it was proven once again no one does it better than James Bond. And my sincerest congratulations to Steve Coogan, who went to the MPAA and defended the case personally,” said TWC co-chair Harvey Weinstein in a statement today.
Weinstein Co Wins MPAA ‘Philomena’ Ratings Appeal
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $59M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
BAFTA Awards: 'Three Billboards' Wins Best Film, Tops Night With Five Nods - The Complete Winners List
Latest Film News
- M.I.A & Ed Sheeran Films Drum Up Global Interest in Rock Docs – Berlin
- Idrissa Ouedraogo Dies: Noted Director Of African Film Was 64
- BAFTA Awards: ‘Three Billboards’ Stuns ‘Shape Of Water’ But Does This Mean Oscar Is Next?…
- History Is Already Written: Film Comedies Came Back In 2018
- Greenwich Entertainment Acquires Lorna Tucker Docu ‘Westwood: Punk, Icon, Activist’
- BAFTA Awards: ‘Three Billboards’ Wins Best Film, Tops Night With Five Nods – The Complete Winners List