USA Today landed in hot water today by with a clumsily written headline that came off as polarizing to some readers. “Holiday Nearly Beat Thor as Race-Themed Films Soar,” USA Today headlined in its box office report, prompting many to spank the paper across social media. Many felt that while the cast is predominantly African American, Universal‘s sequel centers on relationships, not race. The uproar led USA Today to twice modify its headline. Mainstream media seems to have trouble characterizing a film like this, but maybe the simplest route is just call it a romantic comedy.
USA Today Makes Headlines – Unintentionally – With “Race-Themed” ‘Best Man Holiday’ Gaffe
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Costume Designers Guild Awards: 'La La Land,’ 'Hidden Figures' & ‘The Crown’ Among Winners – Complete…
- Martin Scorsese's Robert De Niro Pic 'The Irishman' Heading To Netflix?
- Leah Adler Dies: Steven Spielberg’s Mother Was 97
- Uma Thurman Regrets Turning Down ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Role
- UCLA Diversity Report Downplays Gains Made By Industry’s Women and Minorities
- ‘Logan’ Review: The Marvel Comic Book Movie For People Who Hate Marvel Comic Book Movies