USA Today landed in hot water today by with a clumsily written headline that came off as polarizing to some readers. “Holiday Nearly Beat Thor as Race-Themed Films Soar,” USA Today headlined in its box office report, prompting many to spank the paper across social media. Many felt that while the cast is predominantly African American, Universal‘s sequel centers on relationships, not race. The uproar led USA Today to twice modify its headline. Mainstream media seems to have trouble characterizing a film like this, but maybe the simplest route is just call it a romantic comedy.
USA Today Makes Headlines – Unintentionally – With “Race-Themed” ‘Best Man Holiday’ Gaffe
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Want Full California Tax Credit? Bill Says Keep The Music Scoring Local
- Paramount Whistleblower: Emails Reveal Studio Officials Tried To "Freak Her Out"
- ‘Woman In Gold’ Review: Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds A Great Pair In Remarkable Story
- Sony Taps Nielsen NRG Exec For Film Research Role
- Colin Trevorrow’s Next Page? Helming ‘Book Of Henry’ For SKE
- Emily Blunt Takes Bite Of ‘Animal Crackers'; ‘Neon Demon’ Cast Is Set – Film Briefs