EXCLUSIVE: We’ve seen the subtitled trailer for Hayao Miyazaki’s The Wind Rises (Kaze Tachinu) released during the Toronto Film Festival and now here’s a first look at the domestic version. A mix of the real-life stories of aircraft designer Jiro Horikoshi and the poet Tatsuo Hori, The Wind Rises tells a poignant tale of war, perseverance and love. The film that the anime master said will be his last topped the Japanese box office for nine consecutive weeks after opening there in July. It wrapped up a week-long Oscar-qualifying run in New York and Los Angeles on November 14 and will open in limited release in the U.S. on February 21, expanding wide a week later under Disney’s Touchstone Pictures banner.
Hot Trailer: Hayao Miyazaki’s ‘The Wind Rises’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Team
- Fox Writers Intensive Accepting Nominations
- GSN Orders 'Baggage' Spinoff; Jerry Springer To Return As Host
- Mark Feuerstein Joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'; Nick Clifford In VH1's 'Hindsight'
- Rosie's Return Snares Big Ratings For 'The View'
- NBC Finishes No. 1 In 18-49 Demo For 2013-14 Primetime Season
- RATINGS RAT RACE: Revamped 'Dancing With The Stars' Snags Smallest Crowd For Fall Debut