Writer/Director Ryan Coogler‘s Sundance Film Festival sensation Fruitvale Station is now, just ten months later, hitting the awards season with strong impact. He was nominated Tuesday for Best First Feature at the Film Independent Spirit Awards, but as he told an audience of AMPAS and Guild members at Deadline’s THE CONTENDERS event earlier this month, the motivation for making his debut feature came from a much deeper place than just creating a prize-winning movie. The trip from real-life events to bringing them to a worldwide audience had a profound impact on the young filmmaker.
The Contenders 2013: Writer/Director Ryan Coogler On ‘Fruitvale Station’ – “I Felt Like It Happened To Me” (Video)
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Boo 2! A Madea Halloween’ Reaps $21M+ During October Dumping Ground At The B.O.
- Harvey Weinstein Has “Different Recollection” Of Events In Lupita Nyong’o Op-Ed
- APA Agent Tyler Grasham Fired From Agency Following Sexual Assault Allegations
- Female Animators Pen Open Letter Demanding End To Sexual Harassment
- ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Review: Third Time Is The Comic (Book) Charm For Marvel Franchise
- Oscars: Deadline’s Pete Hammond & Gold Derby’s Tom O’Neil On Ever-Changing Awards Landscape With Harvey Out And…