The unique cinematic worlds of Spike Jonze would provide any behind the scenes wizard a unique challenge as evidenced in such films as Adaptation, Being John Malkovich or Where The Wild Things Are, but his latest film Her could be the most difficult to pull off. We have to believe that in the near-future Los Angeles Joaquin Phoenix’s love-struck character could actually fall head over heels in love with Samantha, his Operating System, a Siri-like voice played brilliantly by Scarlett Johansson. For cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema and costume designer Casey Storm the challenges were unique to say the least as they explained on the Warner Bros panel at Deadline’s THE CONTENDERS event.
The Contenders 2013: Spike Jonze’s ‘Her’ Creative Team Talks About Challenges Of Getting “Sucked Into Joaquin Phoenix’s Universe” (Video)
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Hammond
- Christopher Plummer Praises Lady Gaga, ‘Sound Of Music’ And Cements New Hollywood Honor
- ‘The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ Review: Pete Hammond Happily Checks In
- Deadline’s The Contenders Event Congratulates Its Oscar Winners And Nominees!
- ‘Focus’ Review: Pete Hammond On Will Smith’s Sharp Look At Con Artists
- Oscar Aftermath: ‘Birdman’ Flies High & Parties Into The Night On Wings Of Victory
- Oscars Still A Tossup As Envelopes (FINALLY) About To Be Opened