Gravity has already grossed well over $200 million domestically and is still going strong, an unquestioned smash hit, but as screenwriter Jonas Cuaron (who wrote the film with his father, director Alfonso Cuaron) explained to me at Saturday’s sold out Deadline THE CONTENDERS event at the brand new Wallis Annenberg Center For The Performing Arts the movie was never a sure thing, in fact a “huge gamble” even with all those special effects and stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. As he told the gathered AMPAS and Guild members it really is a very intimate story told on a large scale.
The Contenders 2013: ‘Gravity’ Screenwriter Jonas Cuaron: ‘If I Ever Get Stranded In Space I Want George Clooney By My Side’ (Video)
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Hammond
- Christopher Plummer Praises Lady Gaga, ‘Sound Of Music’ And Cements New Hollywood Honor
- ‘The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ Review: Pete Hammond Happily Checks In
- Deadline’s The Contenders Event Congratulates Its Oscar Winners And Nominees!
- ‘Focus’ Review: Pete Hammond On Will Smith’s Sharp Look At Con Artists
- Oscar Aftermath: ‘Birdman’ Flies High & Parties Into The Night On Wings Of Victory
- Oscars Still A Tossup As Envelopes (FINALLY) About To Be Opened