Gravity has already grossed well over $200 million domestically and is still going strong, an unquestioned smash hit, but as screenwriter Jonas Cuaron (who wrote the film with his father, director Alfonso Cuaron) explained to me at Saturday’s sold out Deadline THE CONTENDERS event at the brand new Wallis Annenberg Center For The Performing Arts the movie was never a sure thing, in fact a “huge gamble” even with all those special effects and stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. As he told the gathered AMPAS and Guild members it really is a very intimate story told on a large scale.
The Contenders 2013: ‘Gravity’ Screenwriter Jonas Cuaron: ‘If I Ever Get Stranded In Space I Want George Clooney By My Side’ (Video)
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office: 'If I Stay' Best Of Lifeless Bunch As 'Sin City 2' Tanks, 'Game' Tries To Find Footing And 'Guardians' No. 1
More From Hammond
- Emmygeddon: Can TV Academy Avoid Monday Night Traffic Nightmare?
- Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide Ending After 45 Years – Internet Kills Iconic Print Paperback
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association Donates Millions As Golden Globe Hopefuls Help The Cause
- Lauren Bacall Appreciation: They Don't Make Them Like Her Anymore
- Robin Williams: A Huge Funny/Dramatic Talent Who Proved He Could Do It All — An Appreciation
- EMMYS: Familiar Faces Fill Drama Acting Categories, Again