With half hour presentations for awards voters from 12 studios, Deadline’s 3rd Annual THE CONTENDERS all day event Saturday at the brand new Wallis Annenberg Center For The Performing Arts in Beverly Hills was a sold out smash hit that drew 500 industry figures from AMPAS and key guilds. It was all taped so keep watching Deadline this week for a series of videos from the big day starting with Roadside/Lionsgate’s slot which focused on the technical challenges of the Robert Redford one-man show,All Is Lost. I sat down with Director J.C. Chandor, Producers Neal Dodson and Anna Gerb and Sound Editors Richard Hymns (a 3-time Oscar winner) and Steve Boeddeker who explained the art of sound in a film with only one actor, a few lines of dialogue and lots of water. Just getting Redford’s normal breathing to work was no simple task on this film.
The Contenders 2013: ‘All Is Lost’ And Robert Redford’s Heavy Breathing (Video)
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Hammond
- Oscar Producers Blast Trade Story That Called Neil Patrick Harris An “Also-Ran” And Not First Choice To Host
- Matthew McConaughey Gets A 'Stellar' Tribute From American Cinematheque
- 'John Wick' Review: Pete Hammond on Keanu Reeves' Killer Film
- Oscars: 'Birdman' Flew Sky High In Theaters, But How Did It Play With Academy Voters?
- AFI Fest Adds 'The Homesman' Gala And Conversations With Keaton, Norton And Deakins
- Oscar Watch: How Elaine Stritch And Other Showbiz Documentaries Hope To Grab The Eyes – And Hearts – Of Voters