If you have kids — or, let’s face it, if you’ve been alive during the past few decades — you know about the Mario Bros video game franchise. Evan Daugherty certainly knows the Bros: The Snow White And The Huntsman scribe has teamed with Maker Studios’ gaming and geek culture network Polaris to create The Four Players, a quartet of live-action shorts that give each of the playable characters from Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros 2 game a gritty twist. “Making these short films gave me a chance to really ‘do my own thing’ while having a little fun treating one of my favorite video game properties with a darker vibe,” said the UTA-repped Daugherty, who also penned the upcoming Divergent and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and is working on G.I. Joe 3. “I had been kicking around the idea for years before I was even working in the industry, so to finally be able to share these films with fans on Polaris is a very exciting thing.” Daugherty funded the films himself. The Fixer (which focuses on Mario), The Addict (his brother Luigi), The Star (imperiled Princess Peach) and The Soldier (Toad) are posted at Polaris’ YouTube channel. Check out Mario doin’ work in The Fixer below:
Evan Daugherty Puts His Gamer Face On For Mario Bros-Themed Shorts: Video
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Team
- Candy Crowley Saluted By Colleagues, Competition, Late-Night Hosts And Robot - Video
- 'Kim Jong-un' Targets Christmas Shoppers On SNL's 'Weekend Update'
- Dr. Evil Disses Sony, Kim Jong-un, Many Others In Mike Myers' Surprise 'SNL' Return
- Republicans To Exhibitors: Play 'The Interview'
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Inmates Croon A Zany 'Twelve Days Of Christmas' – Watch
- North Korea Wants To Work With U.S. To Find Hacker; Obama Admin Asks China For Help – UPDATE