Shirley Mitchell, who played Lucy Ricardo’s friend Marion Strong on the classic CBS sitcom I Love Lucy, died Monday. She was 94. Remembered as Lucy’s friend with the funny laugh, Mitchell appeared in three episodes of I Love Lucy after joining the cast in 1953. She was believed to be the last recurring adult cast member following the deaths of Doris Singleton in 2012 and Peggy Rea in 2011. Mitchell appeared on numerous TV shows in the 1950s and ’60s including Bachelor Father starring John Forsythe, Please Don’t Eat The Daisies as neighbor Marge Thornton, Petticoat Junction and The Beverly Hillbillies. She also appeared as Clara Appleby, the wife of henpecked husband George Appleby (Red Skelton) on The Red Skelton Hour. In 1972, she voiced Laurie Holiday on the Hanna-Barbera cartoon series The Roman Holidays and last year voiced Betty White in Betty White & The Huntsman. On the film side, Mitchell appeared in Jamboree (1944), Desk Set (1957), Big Business (1988) and The War Of The Roses (1989).
R.I.P. Shirley Mitchell
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Team
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa