After leaking word of a reunion earlier this week, the surviving members of Monty Python made it official today in London. At a press conference, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Terry Jones announced they would perform live on stage next year for the first time in nearly four decades. The show, which was billed in an official release as a “final reunion. Sort of,” will be televised and will see the legendary comedy troupe come together on July 1, 2014 for a live performance at London’s O2 Arena. Tickets will go on sale on November 25th. Idle, who will direct, said one of the reasons for pulling the event together was “If we left it too long, it would be too late.” It is currently planned as a one-time only performance, but a tour is not out of the question, the group said. There will be a mix of new material and old, although Cleese noted, “People really want to see the old hits, but we don’t want to do them in a predictable way.” Warwick Davis oversaw the press conference, which streamed live via several outlets and was broadcast on Sky News for a Monty Python-mad UK audience. The Pythons’ last feature film together was 1983’s Monty Python’s The Meaning Of Life.
Official: Monty Python To Reunite For Live Stage Show At London’s O2 Arena In 2014
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
Latest Film News
- Oscar-Winning Producer Dan Jinks Says Let’s Snub The Snubs – Guest Column
- Magnolia Picks Up Gustav Möller’s ‘The Guilty’ After Sundance Bow
- Ari Aster, Writer-Director Of Sundance Midnight Pic ‘Hereditary’, Inks With WME
- Kevin Spacey Costs Netflix $39 Million In Write-Downs In Fourth Quarter
- ‘The Long Dumb Road’: Jason Mantzoukas Discovers Some Mindblowing Details About The ‘Fast & Furious’ Pics – Sundance…
- Ryan Reynolds’ Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is ‘Clue’ With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Reese…