NBC has picked up 12-episode series single-camera comedy Working The Engels, starring SCTV alumna Andrea Martin. NBC will co-produce the series with Core Media/Noreen Halpern’s Halfire-CORE Entertainment, which has a 3-for-1 drama series deal at NBC, and Canada’s Shaw Media. American networks have teamed with Canadian broadcasters on comedy projects before — most recently last season when ABC partnered with Shaw to co-produce a half-hour by Bob Martin — but this is the first time such a collaboration has gone to series. Working The Engles, created and written by Katie Ford and Jane Ford, centers on a family who must band together to keep their heads above water when their father and breadwinner passes away, leaving them a mountain of debt. The Engels must all go to work running Dad’s storefront law firm, with one minor problem — daughter Jenna is the only one who is qualified to practice law. Martin will play Ceil, the overly confident family matriarch. Kacey Rohl (Hannibal), Azura Skye (American Horror Story) and Benjamin Arthur (Less Than Kind) co-star. Katie Ford, Jane Ford, Howard Busgang, Tom Nursall and Halpern serve as executive producers. Halpern also exec produced ABC/Shaw’s Bob Martin project and,, in her former role as head of eOne’s scripted series she worked with Shaw on op drama Rookie Blue, which airs on ABC.
NBC Gives 12-Episode Order To Comedy It Will Co-Produce With Halfire-Core & Shaw
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Tracy Katsky Lines Up Six Comedy Sales, Extends Deal With Kapital Entertainment
- TBS Orders 'Wrecked' Deserted Island Comedy Pilot That Echoes 'Lost'
- Peter Jacobson, Alex Neustaedter & Gonzalo Menendez Join USA Pilot 'Colony'
- Mark Gordon Co. To Adapt Novel 'Plus One', Revisit 'True Blue' For ABC
- Elizabeth Banks To Produce & Direct ABC Comedy From Caroline Williams