In early September, NBC News announced that Carson Daly, host of NBC‘s late-night show Last Call and the network’s primetime singing competition The Voice, would be joining Today as a daily contributor. At the same time, Last Call, renewed in April for a 13th season, was slated to begin production but it didn’t, raising speculation about the show’s future. NBC back then stressed that Daly will remain an exec producer on Last Call, which was working on a “transition” plan. That typically is a code name for a quiet cancellation but in this case, Last Call indeed started production in late September, a couple of weeks behind schedule. It quietly started airing originals the last week of October, introducing a new format that still features Daly. Because of his increased workload, he is now only doing “wraparounds,” framing each episode with an opening and a conclusion, while the artist interviews are being done by producers. After testing out the format, it seems to be working for everyone, with NBC planning to keep the show as is, at least for the next few months. (Last Call has scheduled hiatuses for the holidays and the Winter Olympics.) In addition to The Voice, Daly also hosts NBC’s annual New Year’s Eve special.
‘Last Call With Carson Daly’ Carries On With New Format
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest TV News
- John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
- ‘The Talking Dead’: ‘Walking Dead’ Cast Talk Shocking Character Deaths In Rainy Live Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 7 Premiere: Negan’s Victim Revealed In Bloody Opener
- Benedict Cumberbatch To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’ November 5
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 7 Preview: Who Does Negan Kill? Is It [Spoiler]?
- Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration “Should Kill” The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: “Higher Prices & Fewer Choices”…