Keshet International has already sold its buzzy singing competition format Rising Star to France, Germany, Russia, Italy and the Nordic territories. In the U.S., where the race is on for the next big competition show, Keshet International and DC Media’s Keshet DCP joint venture is shopping a Rising Star adaptation to American networks. The UK market is poised to be a next stop for the interactive hit. British broadcaster ITV has been in exclusive negotiations for Rising Star and I’ve learned that a deal is imminent. This would give ITV three high-profile talent competition franchises, just as one of its staples is exiting. The network just today renewed its pact on Simon Cowell’s The X Factor UK and Britain’s Got Talent through the end of 2016. If Rising Star goes ahead at ITV, I’m told it could slot into the space that’s currently reserved for Dancing On Ice which ends next year. That would put Rising Star on deck for January 2015. It would also potentially set up a new rivalry with the BBC which is moving The Voice UK to a January slot beginning in 2014. (The Voice UK previously aired from March-June which pitted it against Britain’s Got Talent.) Rising Star has been top of mind for TV execs since it launched at October’s Mipcom. It’s been airing on Keshet Channel 2 in Israel where it has broken viewing records. The show incorporates real-time voting by viewers via a fully integrated app. It’s broadcast live throughout the season, and viewers play a key role in every decision made from beginning to end.
ITV Closing In On UK Deal For Hot Israeli Format ‘Rising Star’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Downton Abbey' Finale: Exec Producer Gareth Neame On Allen Leech & Lily James' Future, Season 7 & That Proposal
More From Tartaglione
- Auds Check Into ‘Marigold Hotel 2′; ‘Grey’ Bound To Top Spot: Intl Box Office Update
- ’50 Shades’ Now Uni’s Biggest R-Rated Film Overseas; Nears $500M Global B.O.
- Darrin Prescott & Wade Allen ‘Live!’ In Feature Helming Debut For The Solution
- ‘Spectre’ Director Sam Mendes On Why He Came Back To Bond After ‘Skyfall’
- BAFTA Los Angeles Names Chantal Rickards To New CEO Post
- ‘A Little Chaos': Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet Stroll Versailles Gardens – Trailer