Keshet International has already sold its buzzy singing competition format Rising Star to France, Germany, Russia, Italy and the Nordic territories. In the U.S., where the race is on for the next big competition show, Keshet International and DC Media’s Keshet DCP joint venture is shopping a Rising Star adaptation to American networks. The UK market is poised to be a next stop for the interactive hit. British broadcaster ITV has been in exclusive negotiations for Rising Star and I’ve learned that a deal is imminent. This would give ITV three high-profile talent competition franchises, just as one of its staples is exiting. The network just today renewed its pact on Simon Cowell’s The X Factor UK and Britain’s Got Talent through the end of 2016. If Rising Star goes ahead at ITV, I’m told it could slot into the space that’s currently reserved for Dancing On Ice which ends next year. That would put Rising Star on deck for January 2015. It would also potentially set up a new rivalry with the BBC which is moving The Voice UK to a January slot beginning in 2014. (The Voice UK previously aired from March-June which pitted it against Britain’s Got Talent.) Rising Star has been top of mind for TV execs since it launched at October’s Mipcom. It’s been airing on Keshet Channel 2 in Israel where it has broken viewing records. The show incorporates real-time voting by viewers via a fully integrated app. It’s broadcast live throughout the season, and viewers play a key role in every decision made from beginning to end.
ITV Closing In On UK Deal For Hot Israeli Format ‘Rising Star’
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes 70th Bash: "Cinema Is With Manchester" Says Fest Boss; Guillermo del Toro Talks "Monsters...In Post-Truth Age"
Latest International News
- Sofia Coppola On Working With Family & Pulling ‘The Beguiled’ Out Of The Universal Archive – Cannes
- Cannes 70th Bash: “Cinema Is With Manchester” Says Fest Boss; Guillermo del Toro Talks “Monsters…In Post-Truth Age”…
- 22 Dead, Dozens Hurt As Suicide Bomber Strikes Ariana Grande Concert In England; Suspect ID’d
- Roger Moore: A Career In Pictures
- Barbet Schroeder On His Trilogy Of Evil & Being “Profoundly Scared” In Trump Era – Cannes Studio
- Bob Shaye On Helming Return ‘Ambition’ & Festival Stunts Of Yore – Cannes Studio