The latest entry to Bertrand Tavernier‘s diverse canon is a political satire that’s inspired by a comic book. Quai D’Orsay opened on Wednesday in France, scoring the best first-screening numbers in Paris, but ended up second overall for the day, behind another French film, En Solitaire. Both widely outperformed other new entries Inside Llewyn Davis and Ender’s Game. Quai D’Orsay stars veteran actor Thierry Lhermitte as Foreign Affairs Minister Alexandre Taillard de Vorms, an extravagant aristocrat who’s constantly in motion. The film has made some noise in France since the lead character is based on former Foreign Affairs Minister (later Prime Minister) Dominique de Villepin, the silver-haired international emblem of France’s opposition to the invasion of Iraq. The film’s source comic, Quai D’Orsay – Chroniques Diplomatiques, is co-authored by Abel Lanzac, a pseudonym for Antonin Baudry, who worked as an advisor to de Villepin. In the farcical look at the inner workings of the Foreign Affairs Ministry, de Vorms hires a young speechwriter, played by Raphaël Personnaz, to be his head of language. Niels Arestrup also stars. Quai D’Orsay won the screenplay prize in San Sebastian and screened in Toronto. Pathé is handling international sales at the AFM.
Hot AFM Trailer: Bertrand Tavernier’s ‘Quai D’Orsay’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Motion Pictures Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards: 'Hacksaw Ridge,' 'Westworld' Among Winners - Full List
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
Latest Film News
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards
- WGA Awards: ‘Moonlight’ & ‘Arrival’ Win Top Film Prizes; FX’s ‘Atlanta’ & ‘The Americans’ Lead TV – Complete…
- Richard Schickel Dies: Time Magazine Film Critic Was 84