EXCLUSIVE: HBO has teamed with film and TV director and showrunner Salim Akil for Mr. Director, a single-camera comedy project Akil is set to write, produce and direct. Mr. Director, now in development, is envisioned as being in the vein of Larry David’s documentary-style HBO comedy series Curb Your Enthusiasm but with the backdrop of Black Hollywood. Like David, Akil will play a version of himself in Mr. Director, which will explore the life and times of Salim in the business and highlights the outrageous, circuitous path taken to become one of Hollywood’s Top 50 showrunner/directors. Akil is currently finishing Season 7 of BET’s The Game, on which he serves as director as well as co-showrunner alongside the series’ creator, his producing partner/wife, Mara Brock Akil. Under Akils’ rich multi-year deal with BET, Salim Akil also executive produces Brock Akil’s new series Being Mary Jane, and directed the 90-minute pilot, which aired as a movie to big ratings in July, drawing 4 million viewers and a 2.0 adults 18-49 rating. On the feature side, Salim Akil, repped by ICM Partners and Stephen Barnes, directed Jumping The Broom and Sparkle, and his writing credits include series The Game and Soul Food.
HBO To Explore Black Hollywood With Docu-Style Comedy From Salim Akil
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Universal TV President Bela Bajaria Exits, Pearlena Igbokwe Eyed As Replacement
- Don Mischer Will Be Back As Producer Of Primetime Emmy Awards
- Viacom Watchers Wonder: Who’d Step In If Sumner Redstone Cleans House?
- WGA West Pencils In $4 Million Surplus For Fiscal 2016
- ‘Roots’ Opens With Cable’s Biggest Overall Miniseries Audience In 3 Years
- ‘Legion’: FX Picks Up Marvel’s X-Men Pilot Starring Dan Stevens To Series