Republicans are crediting A&E’s Duck Dynasty with a political upset in Louisiana over the weekend that thumped both the Tea Party and the GOP establishment. State Sen. Neil Riser was considered something of a certainty in Saturday’s election to determine who would replace former Rep. Rodney Alexander; Alexander resigned from Congress in September to join the administration of Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Riser was backed by the Tea Party, the GOP establishment, and the outgoing Alexander. In the other corner: GOP businessman Vance McAllister, a political newbie who was quoted saying the state should expand Medicaid under Obamacare because the rural district he’d represent is one of the nation’s poorest. Riser responded with ads declaring a vote for McAllister to be “a vote for Obamacare,” which, in theory, should have polished McAllister off in the state described by the Wall Street Journal as “deep red.” Instead, McAllister won with 60% of the vote. Caddo Parish GOP chair Harold Coates sniffed that McAllister was pals with the Duck Dynasty guys, who live in McAllister’s 5th District and endorsed him in ads and in personal appearances (check out an endorsement from series star Jep Robertson below). This plays into the whole Hollywood’s Fault storyline, or, as Coates put it: “Entertainers should stay out of elections. I feel like Duck Dynasty absolutely swayed the election, and it’s a disappointment.” This tickled some of The Reporters Who Cover Politics, who said Washington GOP operatives had tried in vain to get a Duck Dynasty family member to run for the seat.
Did Louisiana Pol Ride ‘Duck Dynasty’ Vote To Victory?
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
Latest TV News
- TV Writer Survey Circulates In An Effort To Achieve Salary Parity
- 'God Friended Me' Light Procedural From 'Alcatraz' Co-Creators, Berlanti Prods. & Marcos Siega Gets CBS Pilot Order
- SAG Awards Draws 2.7M In TBS-TNT Simulcast
- ‘The Perfectionists’: ‘PLL’ EP Charlie Craig Joins Spinoff Pilot As Co-Showrunner
- ‘The Rookie’: Liz Friedlander To Direct First Episode Of ABC Drama Series
- 'Get Christie Love' Reboot Starring Kylie Bunbury From Courtney Kemp & Vin Diesel Gets Official ABC Pilot Order