As Disney Channel‘s Shake It Up is heading to its series finale this Sunday, series co-lead Zendaya is eying a return to the network’s comedy series lineup with a new show, Super Awesome Katy. Disney Channel has greenlighted a pilot for the project, which centers on 16-year-old Katy Cooper (Zendaya), an outspoken and confident technology wiz and skilled black belt, who discovers that both her parents are spies with aspirations that she will follow in their footsteps. Shake It Up! exec producer Rob Lotterstein wrote the shooting script for the pilot, while the original script was penned by Corinne Marshall. Filming is slated to begin in early 2014 for 2014-15 season consideration. Disney is making a big bet on 17-year-old actress-singer-dancer Zendaya. When Disney Channel in July made the decision to end Shake It Up, it signed a deal with Zendaya to headline an original movie for the channel, the upcoming Zapped. It is now being followed by a series starring vehicle with Super Awesome Katy. Additionally, Zendaya competed on ABC’s Dancing With The Stars last season and is signed by Disney’s Hollywood Records. The Shake It Up finale will feature a new music from her. Lotterstein is repped by ICM Partners. Zendaya was repped in the deal by Skrzyniarz & Mallean.
Disney Channel Greenlights Comedy Pilot Starring ‘Shake It Up’s Zendaya
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Andreeva
- Tracy Katsky Lines Up Six Comedy Sales, Extends Deal With Kapital Entertainment
- TBS Orders 'Wrecked' Deserted Island Comedy Pilot That Echoes 'Lost'
- Peter Jacobson, Alex Neustaedter & Gonzalo Menendez Join USA Pilot 'Colony'
- 'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
- Mark Gordon Co. To Adapt Novel 'Plus One', Revisit 'True Blue' For ABC
- Elizabeth Banks To Produce & Direct ABC Comedy From Caroline Williams