Illumination’s Chris Meledandri shows up on the Universal panel at Deadline’s THE CONTENDERS event to talk about the formula for success that has made his Despicable Me 2 not only the year’s top animated grosser not too far under a billion dollars worldwide at the box office but also the most successful film in the studio’s history. Universal is doing a big push to see that it also gets Oscar recognition, something that eluded the original film. Not only are they hoping for an Animated Feature mention but also Pharrell Williams’ song “Happy” is in contention. As for future sequels Meledandri shares the current plan.
The Contenders 2013: ‘Despicable Me 2’s’ Chris Meledandri Talks Humor, Heart, Minions And The Future Of Illumination (Video)
What's Hot on Deadline
Shania Twain Clarifies Comments On Supporting Trump, Says She's "Passionately Against Discrimination"
Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Says Relationship Between Cohen And Hannity "Far More Extensive" Than People Believe
'Fast & Furious' Animated Series Set At Netflix Based On Universal Movies As Deal With DreamWorks Animation TV Expands
Latest Film News
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Clip: ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ Debuts Exclusive Look At Marvel’s Ultimate Team-Up…
- ‘The Equalizer 2’s Antoine Fuqua, Jason Blumenthal On Franchise Potential & How The Film Speaks To Women…
- Sony Dates ‘Jumanji’ Sequel For December 2019 – CinemaCon
- As Tom Hardy Promised, A New ‘Venom’ Trailer Drops At CinemaCon – Watch
- ‘Superfly’ Helmer Director X On Making An Action Film That Is “An Escape With Melanin” – CinemaCon
- Sam Rockwell Joins Scarlett Johansson In ‘Jojo Rabbit’