For much of 2013 Derek Cianfrance‘s complex drama, The Place Beyond The Pines was the number one grossing independent film of the year. But at one time after it was bought by Focus Features at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival where it was the hot acquisition title, producers had hoped that it would be released in time to be part of last year’s awards season run. Focus decided to wait and opt for a Spring release which turned out to be a good decision for the box office. Now it’s in the mix this awards season. Sitting on the Focus panel, Cianfrance shared some of the secrets of the film, particularly co-star Ryan Gosling‘s real-life plans to rob a bank, for an audience of AMPAS and Guild members at Deadline’s THE CONTENDERS event earlier this month.
The Contenders 2013: ‘Place Beyond The Pines’ Director Derek Cianfrance Details Ryan Gosling’s Dream To Rob A Bank (Video)
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Hammond
- 'Ouija' Review: Pete Hammond On Hasbro's Stiff Board Game Pic
- Oscar Producers Blast Trade Story That Called Neil Patrick Harris An “Also-Ran” And Not First Choice To Host
- Matthew McConaughey Gets A 'Stellar' Tribute From American Cinematheque
- 'John Wick' Review: Pete Hammond on Keanu Reeves' Killer Film
- Oscars: 'Birdman' Flew Sky High In Theaters, But How Did It Play With Academy Voters?
- AFI Fest Adds 'The Homesman' Gala And Conversations With Keaton, Norton And Deakins