For much of 2013 Derek Cianfrance‘s complex drama, The Place Beyond The Pines was the number one grossing independent film of the year. But at one time after it was bought by Focus Features at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival where it was the hot acquisition title, producers had hoped that it would be released in time to be part of last year’s awards season run. Focus decided to wait and opt for a Spring release which turned out to be a good decision for the box office. Now it’s in the mix this awards season. Sitting on the Focus panel, Cianfrance shared some of the secrets of the film, particularly co-star Ryan Gosling‘s real-life plans to rob a bank, for an audience of AMPAS and Guild members at Deadline’s THE CONTENDERS event earlier this month.
The Contenders 2013: ‘Place Beyond The Pines’ Director Derek Cianfrance Details Ryan Gosling’s Dream To Rob A Bank (Video)
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Film News
- Andy Serkis On Directing ‘Breathe’ And A New ‘Jungle Book’; His Tips From Peter Jackson; And Oscar Talk For ‘Apes’ – Behind…
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- ‘The Greatest Showman’ Songwriters Benj Pasek & Justin Paul On The Revitalization Of The Original…
- Oscars 2018: A Look At Contenders In The Best Animated Feature Race
- Josh Hartnett & Margarita Levieva To Star In Crime Thriller ‘Inherit The Viper’
- Costume Designer-Turned-Helmer Courtney Hoffman To Direct Feature From Her ‘The Good Time Girls’ Short