If we weren’t sure of the target audience for the Mark Burnett minseries-turned-movie Son Of God, today’s release date announcement comes complete with testimonials not from movie critics but from some of the nation’s most recognizable men of faith including Rick Warren and Bishop TD Jakes. (Warren proclaims: “I’ve seen most of the films about Jesus produced in the past 50 years. Son Of God stands alone, in a class by itself. It is a powerful and poignant movie, the best Jesus movie I have ever seen.”) 20th Century Fox picked up feature film rights to the theatrical version of History’s miniseries last month, and the movie now set for a February 28, 2014 release includes footage not seen in the miniseries and has a 5.1 surround sound mix. But Fox doesn’t want the recut 2 hour, 15 minute feature version to be too different: The 10-part mini was a big hit in the spring, averaging 11.4 million total viewers during its five-week run on History; it earned three Emmy noms. Fox released the DVD in April and it quickly became the top-selling mini ever across Blu-ray, DVD and DigitalHD selling 525,000 in its first week alone. A sequel project to the mini, A.D: Beyond The Bible, has already been sold to NBC.
Mark Burnett’s ‘The Bible’ Feature Film Gets February 2014 Release Date
What's Hot on Deadline
Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: "Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won't Stand For Hate And Racism"
After Horrific Summer At Box Office, 'It' Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
Latest Film News
- Gemma Chan Joins ‘Mary Queen Of Scots’ Opposite Saoirse Ronan & Margot Robbie
- ‘Human Flow’ Trailer: Ai Weiwei’s Documentary About The Refugee Crisis
- Weinstein Company Launches Mizchief Animated Film Label
- China’s Puji Capital Invests In Peter Guber’s Mandalay Endurance
- Patty Jenkins In Final Negotiations On Historic Deal To Helm ‘Wonder Woman 2’
- Ryan Kavanaugh Sued For Fraud By Relativity Investor