If we weren’t sure of the target audience for the Mark Burnett minseries-turned-movie Son Of God, today’s release date announcement comes complete with testimonials not from movie critics but from some of the nation’s most recognizable men of faith including Rick Warren and Bishop TD Jakes. (Warren proclaims: “I’ve seen most of the films about Jesus produced in the past 50 years. Son Of God stands alone, in a class by itself. It is a powerful and poignant movie, the best Jesus movie I have ever seen.”) 20th Century Fox picked up feature film rights to the theatrical version of History’s miniseries last month, and the movie now set for a February 28, 2014 release includes footage not seen in the miniseries and has a 5.1 surround sound mix. But Fox doesn’t want the recut 2 hour, 15 minute feature version to be too different: The 10-part mini was a big hit in the spring, averaging 11.4 million total viewers during its five-week run on History; it earned three Emmy noms. Fox released the DVD in April and it quickly became the top-selling mini ever across Blu-ray, DVD and DigitalHD selling 525,000 in its first week alone. A sequel project to the mini, A.D: Beyond The Bible, has already been sold to NBC.
Mark Burnett’s ‘The Bible’ Feature Film Gets February 2014 Release Date
What's Hot on Deadline
'A Quiet Place' Still Noisy With $21.7M As 'Rampage' Beats Chest, 'Super Trooper 2' Surprises - Sunday AM Update
Shania Twain Clarifies Comments On Supporting Trump, Says She's "Passionately Against Discrimination"
'Smallville' Actress Allison Mack Arrested In Sex Trafficking Scheme, Faces 15 Years To Life If Convicted
James Cameron Speaks Out On New AMC Sci Fi Series, Oscar Snubs, A Return To 'Terminator', And The Effect Of Fox/Disney Merger On 'Avatar' Sequels
'Rampage' Rounds $216M Overseas; 'A Quiet Place' Cranks WW Volume To $207M - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2018 – Part 2: John Legend, Jeffrey Wright, Alia Shawkat, Jay Ellis & More
- Andrea Nevins Documents Moment Of Barbie’s Transformation With ‘Tiny Shoulders’ — Tribeca Studio
- ‘Rampage’ Rounds $216M Overseas; ‘A Quiet Place’ Cranks WW Volume To $207M – International…
- ‘The Caretaker’ Filmmakers Launch VR Company Hidden Content At Tribeca
- Sarasota Film Festival Caps 20th Anniversary Edition With Jury Prizes For ‘I Am Not A Witch’ And ‘Minding The Gap…
- British Politicians Urge Inclusion Riders To Be Introduced To Secure Film & High-End TV Tax Relief