EXCLUSIVE: Shawn Ryan is heading back to the fifties with a new drama project, which has landed at Fox with a put pilot commitment. Co-written by Ryan and Davey Holmes (Shameless), with Fast & The Furious‘ Justin Lin directing, the untitled project is set in 1957 in the Territory of Hawaii, which is on a path to become the 50th state in the Union two years later. Statehood and tourism are about to make a few men very rich, and when the brother of a small-time Hawaiian hustler is murdered, he resolves to wage war on the most powerful man on the island. Sony Pictures TV, where Ryan’s MiddKidd Prods. is based, is producing, with Ryan, Lin and Holmes executive producing alongside MiddKidd’s Marney Hochman and Danielle Woodrow of Lin’s Perfect Storm Entertainment. The Hawaii project reunites Ryan and Holmes with Fox where the two previously worked on the Ryan-created cop drama The Chicago Code. This is Ryan’s second broadcast sale this season. He also reunited with his Last Resort collaborator Karl Gajdusek for a new ABC drama project, which has a sizable penalty. The Shield creator Ryan, repped by WME and the Shuman Co. has several other projects in the works, including limited series Mad Dogs, based on the British black comedy/psychological thriller miniseries, at FX and a mining town drama at HBO. This marks the second put pilot for CAA-repped Lin, who also is set to direct/exec produce a Nick Santora drama at CBS from Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci’s company. WME-repped Holmes’ series credits also include Awake, Pushing Daisies and In Treatment.
Shawn Ryan/Justin Lin Period Drama Set In Hawaii Gets Fox Put Pilot Commitment
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- TruTV’s ‘Impractical Jokers’ Cleared In 85% Of U.S.
- Expectation Hires Kirstie Macdonald; DFI Boards ‘Loving Vincent’; Sky, A+E Extend Deal – Global Briefs
- ‘Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams’: Mel Rodriguez & Vera Farmiga Join Sci-Fi Anthology Series
- Sean Hannity “I Am Not Discussing” DNC Staffer Murder Story “For Now”
- Jon Stewart & HBO Scrap His Digital Animated Series Project
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ Producer Sued After Tyra Banks “Physically Manipulated” Young Girl