Singer, songwriter, and guitarist Lou Reed died Sunday. He was 71. With his influential Velvet Underground Reed blazed through the NYC art scene of the 1960s-70s under mentor Andy Warhol. Through four albums and numerous line-up changes Reed fronted the Velvet Underground before going solo in 1970, recording his seminal Transformer two years later. For more than three decades, Reed’s songs have lived on in film and television in everything from Berlin Alexanderplatz to Natural Born Killers. Occasionally Reed took his rock persona into the cinema world. Reed made his film debut in Paul Simon‘s 1980 pic One Trick Pony, about a struggling ex-folk singer, and appeared in Allan Arkush’s 1983 comedy Get Crazy which also skewered the music industry. That year he also lent his singing voice to the cult animated pic Rock & Rule, his first foray into animation; Luc Besson would later cast him as the villain Emperor Maltazard in his 2009 children’s pic Arthur and the Great Adventure, a role Reed reprised in 2010’s Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds. Reed also frequently cameoed as himself, as in 1988’s Permanent Record, Wim Wenders‘ Faraway, So Close! and Palermo Shooting, Wayne Wang’s Blue in the Face, Paul Auster’s Lulu On The Bridge, and 2001’s Prozac Nation. In 2010, Reed made his own directorial debut with Red Shirley, a docu short about his own 99-year-old cousin that debuted at Switzerland’s Visions du Réel Festival.
R.I.P. Lou Reed
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Team
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Terry Keenan Dead: Longtime Business Reporter-Anchor At CNN, CNBC & Fox News
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…