Singer, songwriter, and guitarist Lou Reed died Sunday. He was 71. With his influential Velvet Underground Reed blazed through the NYC art scene of the 1960s-70s under mentor Andy Warhol. Through four albums and numerous line-up changes Reed fronted the Velvet Underground before going solo in 1970, recording his seminal Transformer two years later. For more than three decades, Reed’s songs have lived on in film and television in everything from Berlin Alexanderplatz to Natural Born Killers. Occasionally Reed took his rock persona into the cinema world. Reed made his film debut in Paul Simon‘s 1980 pic One Trick Pony, about a struggling ex-folk singer, and appeared in Allan Arkush’s 1983 comedy Get Crazy which also skewered the music industry. That year he also lent his singing voice to the cult animated pic Rock & Rule, his first foray into animation; Luc Besson would later cast him as the villain Emperor Maltazard in his 2009 children’s pic Arthur and the Great Adventure, a role Reed reprised in 2010’s Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds. Reed also frequently cameoed as himself, as in 1988’s Permanent Record, Wim Wenders‘ Faraway, So Close! and Palermo Shooting, Wayne Wang’s Blue in the Face, Paul Auster’s Lulu On The Bridge, and 2001’s Prozac Nation. In 2010, Reed made his own directorial debut with Red Shirley, a docu short about his own 99-year-old cousin that debuted at Switzerland’s Visions du Réel Festival.
R.I.P. Lou Reed
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
China Makes Space For ‘The Martian’ As ‘Good Dinosaur’ Snatches Eggs From No. 1 ‘Mockingjay 2’ – Intl B.O. Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Latest Film News
- China Makes Space For 'The Martian' As 'Good Dinosaur' Snatches Eggs From No. 1 'Mockingjay 2' – Intl B.O. Update
- 'The Danish Girl' Bows With Style; ‘Janis: Little Girl Blue’ Solid In Debut; ‘Carol' Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty…
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best Of 2015
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance