The writer-director associated with the Italian Neorealism died yesterday in a fall from the third-floor balcony of his apartment in his hometown of Rome. Carlo Lizzani was 91. Local media reports said he left a suicide note. He started as a film critic before segueing to screenwriting. One of his earliest scripts, 1949’s Bitter Rice, earned Lizzani his only Academy Award nomination. He went on to write and/or direct dozens of movies, working with such heralded filmmakers as Bernardo Bertolucci, Jean-Luc Godard and Marco Bellocchio. A longtime favorite on the festival circuit, Lizzani’s credits include Chronicle Of Poor Lovers (1954), which won the International Prize at Cannes and was a Palme d’Or finalist; La vita agra (1964), which won the FIPRESCI Prize at Karlovy Vary; and The Violent Four (1968) and Love & Anger (1969), both of which won the Golden Bear at Venice. He also directed the Venice Film Festival from 1979 to 1982. Biennale President Paolo Baratta told the AP: “The Biennale is crying on the day of Carlo Lizzani’s death. He knew how to give the festival new energy. He knew how to create a nucleus of young students and experts that would represent in future years the true elite.” Lizzani received a Career David from Italy’s David di Donatello Awards in 2007.
R.I.P. Italian Filmmaker Carlo Lizzani
What's Hot on Deadline
Looking Under 'Logan Lucky's Hood As 'Hitman's Bodyguard' Stands Tall With $21M Opening - Saturday AM Update
FX Acquires 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', 'Logan', 'Girls Trip', 'Despicable Me 3', 'War For The Planet of the Apes' & More Movies
Boston Police Commissioner Praises "99.9 Percent" Of Protesters; Donald Trump Says Protest Helps "Heal"
Donald Trump Spotlights "Many Anti-Police Agitators" In Largely Peaceful Boston; Police Confirm Rocks Thrown
Latest Film News
- ‘Inconceivable’s Jonathan Baker, Who Filed Fraud Suit Against Emmett/Furla, Says He Has What Happened On Film…
- Looking Under ‘Logan Lucky’s Hood As ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Stands Tall With $21M Opening – Saturday…
- Donald Trump Blows Off Kennedy Center Honors; Avoiding “Political Distraction”
- Producer Joel Silver Sued For Wrongful Death In 2015 Drowning Of Assistant In Bora Bora
- Sonny Landham Dies: ‘Predator’ & ‘48 Hrs.’ Actor Was 76
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Crash: Details Emerge In Death Of Stuntwoman Joi Harris