EXCLUSIVE: Hany Abu-Assad is in talks to direct The Mountain Between Us for Fox and Chernin Entertainment. Abu-Assad is best known for his 2005 provocative breakthrough film Paradise Now. The Charles Martin book is a harrowing tale of survival and a love story. Ashley is a writer catching a flight from Salt Lake City and heading East for her wedding. Ben is a doctor returning from a medical conference. When a their flight is cancelled due to a broken de-icer, the strangers agree to charter a ride, only to see the pilot suffer a heart attack and crash into a desolate snowy mountain region. He breaks ribs and she suffers a leg fracture. Fortunately, aside from a doctor he’s an avid climber, and as he struggles to get her down from the mountain in harsh weather, she begins to realize that maybe she was headed to marry the wrong guy. The film will be produced by Peter Chernin and Jenno Topping for Chernin Entertainment. The project, originally adapted by J. Mills Goodloe, had Scott Frank come aboard and I hear they are trying to get that busy writer for the next pass. Abu-Assad is repped by CAA.
‘Paradise Now’ Helmer Hany Abu-Assad To Helm ‘The Mountain Between Us’
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- New Regency Acquires Film For ’71’s Yann Demange To Direct, Plan B To Produce
- Bruce Lee Family Plans New Film Biopic
- A Third Robin Hood Script Enters The Fray; This By King Arthur Scribe Joby Harold
- Rob Letterman Doffs ‘Captain Underpants'; ‘Turbo’s David Soren Being Fitted For DWA Pic
- Will ‘The Crow’ Fly With Jack Huston?
- Marc Forster Sets Blake Lively, Jason Clarke For ‘All I See Is You’