Starz this morning unveiled a photo of Sam Heughan in character for its original series Outlander, adapted from Diana Gabaldon’s international bestselling novels, debuting in 2014. Heughan plays Jamie Fraser, an 18th century Scottish warrior who marries Claire Randall, a combat nurse from 1945 (Caitriona Balfe), when she accidentally winds up in his century. After Deadline broke the news of the Ronald D. Moore project from Sony TV landing at the network back in November, a premature tweet by Starz in July revealed Heughan had landed the male lead; Starz officially confirmed its own scoop the next week. ”From the very beginning, I knew the part of Jamie Fraser would be difficult to cast,” Moore said at that time, which went over so well that, two months later, he said similar: “The casting of Claire Randall was a long and difficult one.” Apparently casting was a bitch on this project. Anyway, we like the results:
Starz’s ‘Outlander': First-Look Photo
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Keith OIbermann's ESPN2 Program Moving; He'll Anchor Some 'SportsCenter' Shows (Video)
- Hot Trailer: 'The Pyramid'
- Lionsgate Nabs Schwarzenegger Starrer 'Maggie'; Oscilloscope Rocks With 'Jingle Bell' Docu
- Kathryn Prescott Joins CBS Miniseries 'The Dovekeepers'
- Hot TV Teaser: 'The Affair'
- Participant Joins DreamWorks On Spielberg Cold War Pic & 'The Light Between Oceans'