Starz this morning unveiled a photo of Sam Heughan in character for its original series Outlander, adapted from Diana Gabaldon’s international bestselling novels, debuting in 2014. Heughan plays Jamie Fraser, an 18th century Scottish warrior who marries Claire Randall, a combat nurse from 1945 (Caitriona Balfe), when she accidentally winds up in his century. After Deadline broke the news of the Ronald D. Moore project from Sony TV landing at the network back in November, a premature tweet by Starz in July revealed Heughan had landed the male lead; Starz officially confirmed its own scoop the next week. ”From the very beginning, I knew the part of Jamie Fraser would be difficult to cast,” Moore said at that time, which went over so well that, two months later, he said similar: “The casting of Claire Randall was a long and difficult one.” Apparently casting was a bitch on this project. Anyway, we like the results:
Starz’s ‘Outlander': First-Look Photo
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Team
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…
- 'High Profits': New CNN Series Profiles Colorado Pot Business Owners
- Mary McCormack & Alicia Witt Join 'House Of Lies'; Lindsey Gort In 'Self Promotion'
- Courtney Love To Guest Star In Fox's 'Empire'
- 'Good Morning America' Ratings Lead Morning Infotainment Race
- Zachary Booth, Bill Irwin, Six More Round Out 'South Of Hell' Cast On WE TV