NBC, the long-time home of the Law & Order franchise, has put in development another legal drama with “law” in the title. Law Man, from CBS TV Studios and studio-based Carol Mendelsohn Prods (The Defenders), is inspired by Shon Hopwood’s memoir and chronicles the journey of a small-town basketball star who goes from young bank robber to federal prison inmate, during which time he became the greatest jailhouse lawyer in American history. He went on to join the D.C. District Attorneys Investigative Unit where his life experience gives him insight into identifying the guilty from the innocent, as he struggles to fit back into the world that left him behind. Mark Gibson and Philip Halprin (They Call Me Cuervo) wrote and are executive producing alongside Carol Mendelsohn Prods’ Carol Mendelsohn, showrunner of the venerable CSI series, and Julie Weitz, while Hopwood serves as consultant. This marks the second sale for WME-repped Carol Mendelsohn Prods this season — the company also has an untitled 1960s surf drama with Rebecca Sinclair at the CW. Gibson and Halprin are repped by UTA and Principato-Young; Hopwood is with Hotchkiss & Associates.
NBC Buys Legal Drama From Carol Mendelsohn
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
'Mockingjay' Rules Roost; 'Good Dinosaur' Hatches With $29M; 'The Martian' Lands $50M In China - Intl Box Office Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest TV News
- Al Markim, Who Played Astro In Pioneering ‘Tom Corbett, Space Cadet,’ Dies At 88
- ‘MasterChef Jr.’ Ratings Down, ‘Amazing Race’ Even, ‘Santa Claus’ Matches 2014
- ‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Strong Thanksgiving Day Ratings
- Marvel’s ‘Agent Carter’ Season 2 Teaser: Hayley Atwell Kicks Butt In Hollywood
- Thanksgiving NFL Matchup Draws 27.8M Viewers, 2nd-Most Ever For NBC Primetime Regular-Season Game – Update
- French Media Dedicates Coverage To Emotional Memorial Service For Victims Of Paris Attacks