The Poehler family is expanding their footprint on NBC. The network, which carries the Amy Poehler-starring comedy series Parks & Recreation, has acquired the U.S. broadcast rights to Welcome To Sweden, a half-hour comedy series from Poehler and her brother Greg, which was originally commissioned by Sweden’s TV4 as the network’s first-ever English-speaking series. The deal with NBC was made by Entertainment One, which handles the show’s worldwide rights. Filmed in Sweden, New York and Los Angeles, Welcome To Sweden is a fish-out-of-water comedy created by Greg Poehler based on his true life story. It is about a New York accountant, Bruce, played by Poehler in his acting debut, who falls in love with a Swedish girl, Emma (Josephine Bornebusch) and follows his heart to Sweden. Lena Olin co-stars as Emma’s mother Viveka, and Illeana Douglas and Patrick Duffy play Bruce’s parents. Making cameo appearances are Amy Poehler, Will Ferrell, Aubrey Plaza and Gene Simmons. “This show is a ‘first’ on so many levels,” said eOne TV’s EVP Global Production Carrie Stein. It’s the first English-language comedy for TV4; the first television show Greg Poehler has ever created and starred in and executive produced with his sister Amy; and it’s the first time NBC has been involved with a comedy shot in Stockholm with a large Swedish cast. The reason this comedy has attracted all these people is because its theme is universal — love conquers all…even if it means moving to Sweden.” Welcome To Sweden is a co-production between eOne, TV4, FLX and Syskon. Executive producers include Amy Poehler and Greg Poehler; Fredrik Arefalk for TV4; Stein for eOne; and veteran Swedish TV helmer/creator Felix Herngren for FLX.
NBC Acquires Comedy Series ‘Welcome To Sweden’ From Amy and Greg Poehler, eOne
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Fall Festival Verdict: Who's In, Who's Out As The 2014 Oscar Race Gets Its First Real Shot Of Adrenaline
More From Andreeva
- Mykelti Williamson To Recur (And Sing) On ABC's 'Nashville'
- Brad Copeland To Write ABC Comedy Starring Chevy Chase & Beverly D'Angelo
- Angela Kinsey To Topline & Co-Create ABC Buddy Comedy Produced By Darlene Hunt & Will Gluck
- CBS Buys Meatball Restaurant Comedy From Bill Lawrence, Jeff Astrof & All3Media With Production Commitment
- Q&A: Laurence Fishburne On 'Black-Ish' Comedic Turn, 'Hannibal' Return & 'CSI'
- AMC To Board Channel 4 Series 'Humans' As Xbox Entertainment Studios Downsizes Slate & Mulls Possible Future