It’s the DNC fundraiser that just isn’t happening. First President Obama cancelled his scheduled September 9 appearance at the home of Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman because of the possibility of military action in Syria. Now Michelle Obama will not be coming to the LA home of Everybody Love Raymond creator Philip Rosenthal on Friday as a substitute for her husband because of the ongoing government shutdown. One source cited the optics of the First Lady headlining the big-ticket event while many government workers aren’t collecting their paychecks as the primary reason for the cancellation. The First Lady is also pulling the plug on a planned San Francisco fundraiser set for October 13. Neither event has been re-scheduled. First announced on August 27, the President’s latest Hollywood visit was taken off the calendar September 5. It was announced on September 13, that the First Lady would come to the re-scheduled event. With tickets ranging from $1,250-$32,400, the October 11 fundraiser was supposed to be a one-hour event with a photo op for the lower ticket buyers and a smaller Q&A gathering for the top-tier donors, just like the President’s September event was supposed to be.
Michelle Obama Hollywood Fundraiser Scrapped Over Government Shutdown
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Why Nobody Chased ‘Alice Through The Looking Glass’: Memorial Day Box Office Postmortem
- Universal Changes ‘Pitch Perfect 3’ Release Date Again; ‘Girl Trip’ Moves In
- Weinstein Company Blasts Open Road & ‘Little Prince’ Producers Over $35M ‘Playmobil’ Breached Deal
- ‘Rogue One’: Re-Shoots But No Test Screening; Release Date Not Impacted
- Viacom Watchers Wonder: Who’d Step In If Sumner Redstone Cleans House?
- Cate Blanchett’s Broadway Debut With Chekhovian ‘The Present’ Sets House & Cast