It’s the DNC fundraiser that just isn’t happening. First President Obama cancelled his scheduled September 9 appearance at the home of Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman because of the possibility of military action in Syria. Now Michelle Obama will not be coming to the LA home of Everybody Love Raymond creator Philip Rosenthal on Friday as a substitute for her husband because of the ongoing government shutdown. One source cited the optics of the First Lady headlining the big-ticket event while many government workers aren’t collecting their paychecks as the primary reason for the cancellation. The First Lady is also pulling the plug on a planned San Francisco fundraiser set for October 13. Neither event has been re-scheduled. First announced on August 27, the President’s latest Hollywood visit was taken off the calendar September 5. It was announced on September 13, that the First Lady would come to the re-scheduled event. With tickets ranging from $1,250-$32,400, the October 11 fundraiser was supposed to be a one-hour event with a photo op for the lower ticket buyers and a smaller Q&A gathering for the top-tier donors, just like the President’s September event was supposed to be.
Michelle Obama Hollywood Fundraiser Scrapped Over Government Shutdown
What's Hot on Deadline
'Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice': 2 New TV Spots Promote Gotham City, Metropolis & Turkish Airlines
Latest Film News
- Producer Marc Platt On Oscars Diversity, ‘Bridge Of Spies’ & Making ‘Grease’ Live
- Feds Probing ‘Wolf Of Wall Street’ Producer Red Granite’s Money Relationships
- Bart & Fleming: Ava DuVernay In Demand; CEO Mischief And Focus Feature Casualties; ‘Spotlight’s…
- J.K. Simmons & Julie Delpy To Star In ‘The Bachelors’ From ‘Unbroken,’ ‘Descendants…
- ‘Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates’ Trailer: Can Efron & Devine Out-Party Kendrick & Plaza?
- Morgan Freeman To Receive Chaplin Award From Film Society Of Lincoln Center