Disney/Marvel‘s next superhero sequel Thor: The Dark World just came on tracking this morning three weeks from release. The great news is that it’s showing very strong four-quadrant ‘awareness’ across the board building on the May 2011 original’s $65.7M opening weekend. And the good news is that it’s bringing in more ‘definite interest’ and ‘first choice’ among young and older females. But the bad news is that its projected opening weekend gross of $75M is nowhere near Iron Man 2‘s $128.1M opening weekend in May 2010. “The Avengers ‘halo’ effect is still working for these Marvel properties but not for, say, Wolverine,” a rival studio explains. Specifically, Thor still has its solid fanbase but also expanded its demographics. ‘Awareness’ across the board is between 75 and 80 for every quadrant. ‘Definite Interest’ is 59 – and only about 2 to 3 movies a year come on that high – showing great among males and good for females. The fact that it’s able to target young females is somewhat unique for a superhero movie and no doubt due to star Chris Hemsworth as the pic’s eye candy. Finally, ‘First Choice’ has a strong 18% even for older females which demonstrates that moms want to take the kids. But Thor 2 still is no Iron Man 2.
Marvel’s ‘Thor 2’ Comes On Tracking Very Strong But $75M Nowhere Near ‘Iron Man 2’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat 'Ultron's $191M+ Debut - Box Office Preview
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
Donald Trump Drums Ted Cruz Out Of Race, Praises Him As "One Hell Of A Competitor" with "Amazing Future"
Latest Box Office News
- Universal Dates A Kurtzman-Morgan Monster Movie For Presidents’ Day Weekend 2019
- Miles Teller Boxing Pic ‘Bleed For This’ Set For November Bow
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat ‘Ultron’s $191M+ Debut – Box…
- 2016 Tony Nominations: The Good, The Bad, The Ecstatic, The Invisible
- Disney Swingin’ As ‘The Jungle Book’ Beats $700M Global; ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Rises To…
- ‘Hamilton’ & ‘Shuffle Along’ Lead Historic Tony Nominations Derby As ‘American Psycho’, ‘Tuck Everlasting…