EXCLUSIVE: Two weeks ago when I broke the story that Imagine, Universal, Gary Ross and Jennifer Lawrence teaming on a two-part feature adaptation of John Steinbeck’s East Of Eden, I reported that The Hunger Games trio of Ross, Lawrence and producer Allison Shearmur (a key exec on the film) would come to market with the new Hannah Kent novel Burial Rites. CAA indeed took the book to auction last week, and I’m hearing that it’s likely to shape up as a complete Hunger Games reunion as Lionsgate has started negotiations for the package. The deal isn’t done, but I’m betting that it gets done this week. This comes after Kent got a seven-figure deal for her first novel from Little, Brown. It has gotten great reviews. The book tells the story a young woman accused of murder in Iceland in 1829 and who faces becoming the last woman to be publicly executed there. The film will tell the story of a tragic romance set against the odds during an endless Icelandic summer. Stay tuned.
Lionsgate In Talks For ‘Burial Rites’ With Gary Ross And Jennifer Lawrence
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Wastes No Time Responding To Donald & Hillary; Megyn Kelly & Rosie O'Donnell Get The Last Word, For Now
Latest Film News
- Anaïs Nin Short Stories Optioned To Hook Up With Film & TV
- David Rubin Set To Produce 2016 Governors Awards
- Viola Davis Joins Steve McQueen’s ‘Widows’
- Bart & Fleming: How Will Wanda & Other Chinese Backers Change Movie Content?
- ‘Desierto’ Trailer: Jonas Cuarón’s Border Thriller Starring Gael Garcia Bernal & Jeffrey Dean Morgan
- ‘Deepwater Horizon’ Review: Real-Life Disaster Movie Explosive But Not Compelling