EXCLUSIVE: Two weeks ago when I broke the story that Imagine, Universal, Gary Ross and Jennifer Lawrence teaming on a two-part feature adaptation of John Steinbeck’s East Of Eden, I reported that The Hunger Games trio of Ross, Lawrence and producer Allison Shearmur (a key exec on the film) would come to market with the new Hannah Kent novel Burial Rites. CAA indeed took the book to auction last week, and I’m hearing that it’s likely to shape up as a complete Hunger Games reunion as Lionsgate has started negotiations for the package. The deal isn’t done, but I’m betting that it gets done this week. This comes after Kent got a seven-figure deal for her first novel from Little, Brown. It has gotten great reviews. The book tells the story a young woman accused of murder in Iceland in 1829 and who faces becoming the last woman to be publicly executed there. The film will tell the story of a tragic romance set against the odds during an endless Icelandic summer. Stay tuned.
Lionsgate In Talks For ‘Burial Rites’ With Gary Ross And Jennifer Lawrence
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'