BREAKING: Legendary Pictures has made a deal with accomplished second unit director Simon Crane to direct Hot Wheels. The financier/producer has also set Paul Attanasio to rewrite the script. The live action film is based on the venerable Mattel toy line and since Legendary moved from Warner Bros to Universal, the latter studio gets first crack at what could be a franchise vehicle in Hot Wheels. Attanasio will be rewriting the draft by Iron Man scribes Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. Joe Roth, Palak Patel and Sam Mercer of Roth Films are producing with Legendary, whose Alex Garcia is overseeing. Crane, repped by CAA and Media Talent Group’s Geyer Kosinski, has been in the mix for this job since late summer, and has been an active second unit director whose recent credits include World War Z and the upcoming Doug Liman-directed Tom Cruise-starrer Edge Of Tomorrow. It’s another good writing job for Attanasio, the Quiz Show and Donnie Brasco scribe who recently took a crack at the Scarface remake at Universal.
Legendary Sets Simon Crane To Helm ‘Hot Wheels’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- A 'Sophie's Choice': 'Jaws' Or 'Goodfellas'?
- Paul Schrader's 'Dying Of The Light' Acquired By Lionsgate Home Entertainment
- Warner Bros Pre-empts 'Mack Bolan'; Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips Aboard
- Bart & Fleming: On Robin Williams And Empathetic Star Send-Offs
- Q&A: 'The Giver's Lois Lowry And Phillip Noyce On The Give And Take Between Author And Director
- 'Sin City 2′ To Launch With Tarantino 'Hateful Eight' Teaser