EXCLUSIVE: Having just released Unvarnished, her first new album since 2006, iconic punk rocker Joan Jett is returning to the big screen — both in front of and behind it. Along with her Blackheart Films partners Kenny Laguna and Carianne Brinkman, Jett is executive producing the dark indie romantic comedy Undateable John. She will play a Venice Beach surf punk musician who befriends misfit lovebirds Jane (Estella Warren) and former pro surfer John (John Philbin) at an AA meeting. The recovery tale, directed by Demian Lichtenstein from a script by Cynthia Posner, also stars Daryl Hannah, Tom Arnold, Margaret Cho, Meredith Baxter, and Shannen Doherty. Jett’s most recent screen foray came as exec producer of the story about the formation and breakup of her groundbreaking punk band dramatized in The Runaways, which cast Twilight Saga‘s Kristen Stewart. Jett is no stranger to acting; she starred with Michael J. Fox in 1987’s Light Of Day and appeared on Broadway in a early 2000s revival of The Rocky Horror Show. Undateable John is shooting now in LA, and Jett’s supplying tunes for the soundtrack.
Joan Jett Rocking Indie ‘Undateable John’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Roy Wood Jr. To Star In Parole Officer Comedy From Trevor Noah & Aaron McGruder In Works At Comedy Central
Latest Film News
- ‘Black Panther’: Hollywood Cannot Stop Praising The Groundbreaking Marvel Blockbuster
- Oscars Street Closures: When & Where To Expect Detours, Delays
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling…
- Activist Organization Hosts Voter Registration Events At ‘Black Panther’ Screenings
- Blue Fox Hires Myriad Pictures’ Audrey Delaney As Marketing & Distribution SVP – Berlin
- José Padilha Lifts The Lid On ‘7 Days In Entebbe’ – Berlin