EXCLUSIVE: Having just released Unvarnished, her first new album since 2006, iconic punk rocker Joan Jett is returning to the big screen — both in front of and behind it. Along with her Blackheart Films partners Kenny Laguna and Carianne Brinkman, Jett is executive producing the dark indie romantic comedy Undateable John. She will play a Venice Beach surf punk musician who befriends misfit lovebirds Jane (Estella Warren) and former pro surfer John (John Philbin) at an AA meeting. The recovery tale, directed by Demian Lichtenstein from a script by Cynthia Posner, also stars Daryl Hannah, Tom Arnold, Margaret Cho, Meredith Baxter, and Shannen Doherty. Jett’s most recent screen foray came as exec producer of the story about the formation and breakup of her groundbreaking punk band dramatized in The Runaways, which cast Twilight Saga‘s Kristen Stewart. Jett is no stranger to acting; she starred with Michael J. Fox in 1987’s Light Of Day and appeared on Broadway in a early 2000s revival of The Rocky Horror Show. Undateable John is shooting now in LA, and Jett’s supplying tunes for the soundtrack.
Joan Jett Rocking Indie ‘Undateable John’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Film News
- Harvey Weinstein Drew Up 91-Name List For Investigators To Target: Report
- Little People Played Big Enough At A Guild Screening Of Alexander Payne’s ‘Downsizing’
- Hollywood Split Over Al Franken; Former ‘SNL’ Cast Members Take Sides
- David Cassidy Hospitalized With Reported Organ Failure
- Ann Wedgeworth Dies: ‘Three’s Company’, ‘Sweet Dreams’ Actress Was 83
- Malcolm Young Dies: AC/DC Guitarist Rocked Charts & TV-Film Soundtracks