EXCLUSIVE: Having just released Unvarnished, her first new album since 2006, iconic punk rocker Joan Jett is returning to the big screen — both in front of and behind it. Along with her Blackheart Films partners Kenny Laguna and Carianne Brinkman, Jett is executive producing the dark indie romantic comedy Undateable John. She will play a Venice Beach surf punk musician who befriends misfit lovebirds Jane (Estella Warren) and former pro surfer John (John Philbin) at an AA meeting. The recovery tale, directed by Demian Lichtenstein from a script by Cynthia Posner, also stars Daryl Hannah, Tom Arnold, Margaret Cho, Meredith Baxter, and Shannen Doherty. Jett’s most recent screen foray came as exec producer of the story about the formation and breakup of her groundbreaking punk band dramatized in The Runaways, which cast Twilight Saga‘s Kristen Stewart. Jett is no stranger to acting; she starred with Michael J. Fox in 1987’s Light Of Day and appeared on Broadway in a early 2000s revival of The Rocky Horror Show. Undateable John is shooting now in LA, and Jett’s supplying tunes for the soundtrack.
Joan Jett Rocking Indie ‘Undateable John’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Patten
- Sony Hack: 'Interview' Social Media Pulled; Billboards Coming Down In LA
- 'Amazing Race' Ratings Fall In Finale, 'Caught On Camera' Debuts OK As NBC Wins Night
- Did Sony Or Exhibitors Kill 'The Interview?'
- North Korean Link To Sony Hack Shifts Legal Landscape For Studio
- North Korea “Responsible” For Sony Hack, FBI Confirms
- WME Owned IMG Hit With Latest Intern Class Action Lawsuit