The Lobster is the first English-language film for Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos whose Dogtooth scored an Oscar nomination in 2009. Zero Dark Thirty‘s Jason Clarke leads the cast that also includes Skyfall‘s Ben Whishaw, Blue Is The Warmest Color‘s Léa Seydoux, Broadchurch‘s Olivia Colman, Attenberg‘s Ariane Labed and Angeliki Papoulia (Dogtooth, Alps). Shooting starts in March on the unconventional love story that’s set in a dystopian future where finding a partner is a matter of life and death. Lanthimos co-wrote the script with longtime collaborator Efthimis Filippou. Protagonist Pictures is launching sales at next month’s AFM. Ireland’s Element Pictures is producing with Lanthimos’ Limp and Ceci Dempsey’s Scarlet Films. Producers are Lanthimos, Lee Magiday, Ed Guiney and Dempsey, with Andrew Lowe exec producing. Haut et Court (The Returned), is co-producing and distributing in France. Faliro House and Lemming Films also are co-producing. Clarke most recently appeared in Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby and next has Child 44, Terrence Malick’s Knight Of Cups and Fox’s Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes. He’s repped by CAA, as are Seydoux and Whishaw, who’s also with Hamilton Hodell in the UK. Colman is repped by the UK’s United Agents. The Lobster won the ARTE International Prize for best project at CineMart in Rotterdam earlier this year.
Jason Clarke & Léa Seydoux Feast On ‘The Lobster’ From Greece’s Yorgos Lanthimos
What's Hot on Deadline
'Jason Bourne' On Way To $55M To $60M; 'Bad Moms' Reaching For $30M; 'Nerve' Could Find $15M - Friday Matinees
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
Bill Maher On Hillary Clinton Nomination: "First, Lady Ghostbusters And Now This; America's On A Roll!"
Latest Film News
- Animation Vets Launch Astro-Nomical Entertainment To Make Indie Toons
- Geoff Stults Jumps Into ‘Granite Mountain’; Martha Kelly Joins ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’
- Luc Besson Must Pay More For Copying John Carpenter’s ‘Escape From New York’
- ‘Jason Bourne’ On Way To $55M To $60M; ‘Bad Moms’ Reaching For $30M; ‘Nerve’ Could Find $15M…
- ‘Astronaut Academy’ Rights Acquired With Aim To Blast Off In Film & TV
- James Schamus Debuts 'Indignation'; Oscar-Winner Barbara Kopple Charts 'Miss Sharon Jones!' – Specialty B.O. Preview