EXCLUSIVE: The 2nd installment of The Hunger Games film trilogy based on American writer Suzanne Collins’ bestselling books came on tracking this morning. Lionsgate’s Catching Fire three weeks out is currently looking to open with $140M to $150M in North American weekend gross. That should target the first installment’s opening of $152.5M and beat the recordholder for November, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, at $142.8M. Three weeks out, Catching Fire has 11% unaided awareness, the same as New Moon. However, Catching Fire‘s first choice at 27% is 10 points ahead of where New Moon was three weeks out. “Which we hope suggests upside in a crowded November marketplace with Thor and Frozen,” an insider tells me. Of course, tracking has been very unreliable this year and may not be an accurate measure of the film’s domestic box office prospects. The movie will be released on November 22nd. Gary Ross, director of the first Hunger Games installment, did not return and was replaced by Francis Lawrence. Pic stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The first installment of The Hunger Games was released in March 2012 and earned $408M domestic all in, for a worldwide total of $691M.
‘Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire’ Tracking New November Record: Hot $140M-$150M
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Justice League’ Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; ‘Thor’ Rocks To $738M Global – International…
- How ‘Wonder’ Turned Wonderful At The Box Office With A $27M Opening Against Superhero Movie ‘Justice League…
- 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.' Bows OK; 'Three Billboards' & 'Lady Bird' Extend Robust Runs – Specialty Box Office
- ‘Justice League’ Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened – Sunday…
- ‘Justice League’ Rises To $70.7M Through Friday At International Box Office
- Review: Lerner & Loewe’s Golden ‘Brigadoon’ With Kelli O’Hara and Aasif Mandvi