Director Michael Bay suffered minor injuries to his face during an alleged shakedown attempt on the set of Transformers 4 on Hong Kong Island today, The South China Morning Post reports. Bay did not require treatment, but filming on the Paramount Pictures movie was briefly interrupted when a pair of men demanded HK$100,000 ($12,900) from the filmmakers. The incident took place at the Yick Fat Building (right) on Quarry Bay at about 8:30 AM local time when the men, who are brothers, arrived at the scene. One is believed to use a ground-floor shop on the site as an office and the pair claimed the shoot was interfering with business. They allegedly attempted to obstruct filming and demanded compensation for the disruption. A source on the scene told the SCMP that the younger man threatened “inconvenience” if the filmmakers refused to pay. That’s when the police were called. While officers were wrangling with the men, one is said to have bodychecked Bay, causing slight injury to his face. But Bay remained on set and continued filming.
Extortion Attempt On ‘Transformers 4′ Set; Michael Bay Suffers Minor Injury: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Tartaglione
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: 'Force Majeure', 'Ida' In; 'White God', 'Mommy' Miss Cut
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3
- 'The Interview' A No-Go Internationally As Well
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 2