Gabrielle, the Louise Archambault-directed relationship drama that is Canada’s entry into this year’s Foreign Language Film Oscar race, will be released this winter by Entertainment One, which has acquired U.S. distribution rights. EOne is banking on strong past showings of Canadian films at the Oscars to help drive awareness: Gabrielle is the third film from Montréal-based production company micro_scope to be put up for Academy Award consideration following 2011′s Monsieur Lazhar and 2010′s Incendies — and both landed eventual nominations. (Last year’s Canadian entry, War Witch, produced by Item 7, was also a nominee.) Gabrielle is the story of a musically talented woman (Gabrielle Marion-Rivard) suffering from Williams syndrome. When she falls in love with a fellow choir member, she seeks valiantly to prove her independence. EOne Films International already has sold distribution rights to other key territories, and the film was released in France yesterday. The U.S. deal was negotiated for eOne International by EVP Charlotte Mickie and for eOne Films U.S. by VP Worldwide Acquisitions Sejin Croninger.
EOne Nabs U.S. Rights To Canada Oscar Entry ‘Gabrielle’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Bows Overseas With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M
Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn't - But Who's Complaining After Cinema's World Cup?
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest Film News
- Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn’t – But Who’s Complaining After Cinema’s…
- Anne Meara Dies; Actress, Comedian Of Stiller Family Was 85
- Cannes: Audiard’s ‘Dheepan’ Wins Palme D’Or At Emotional, Musical Ceremony – Update
- Mathematician John Nash, Subject Of ‘A Beautiful Mind’, Dies In Car Crash
- Bart & Fleming: Girl Power Pics, Cate Blanchett, Melissa McCarthy, Suzanne Somers And Disney Self-Absorption
- Memorial Day B.O. Runs Cold: ‘Tomorrowland’ Is No Flying Car With $40.7M Bow – Second Sunday Update