EXCLUSIVE: The news that Universal dropped another bombshell today and announced that James Schamus would leave as head of Focus Features has left everyone at that boutique label reeling. But it hits the company’s New York staff hardest: Several sources have told me that during the teleconferenced announcement that Focus would be overhauled with FilmDistrict head Peter Schlessel taking the reins, staff was told that the New York headquarters of Focus would be closed and that the operation would be based on the West Coast. New York headquarters houses nearly half the Focus operation, and 40-50 people work there. The employees range from distribution head Jack Foley to the company’s leaders Schamus and Andrew Karpen, and a slew of marketing and publicity and other support staff. There was no timetable given for the closure, but it is a blow for film in New York because, like Bruce Springsteen says in the song, “Foreman says these jobs are going boy, and they ain’t comin’ back.” Coupled with the big hit yesterday in which Paramount cut 110 employees, and it feels easy to be a bit depressed about this business, which seems to be getting harder and harder. Some of those Focus staffers could be invited to relocate, but we essentially have two organizations merged into one, and there will be casualties.
Focus Features New York Office To Close
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
Disney Channel Launching Toon Series 'Amphibia' & 'The Owl House', Renews 'Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil' For Season 4
Latest Film News
- ‘Phantom Thread’ Composer Jonny Greenwood On Writing Music Reynolds Woodcock Would Appreciate
- Diane Warren & Melissa Leo Among L.A. Italia Festival Honorees
- The Black List & Women In Film Set Writers, Mentors For Inaugural Feature Lab
- Time’s Up Turns Down Deven MacNair’s Plea For Help In Fighting Sex Discrimination In Stunt Biz
- Oscars: A Look At The Nominees For Best Animated Feature Film
- Vanessa Hudgens, Katheryn Winnick & Matt Lucas Join Mads Mikkelsen In The Action-Thriller ‘Polar’