Universal Pictures and Chris Meledandri‘s Illumination Entertainment announced this morning that Despicable Me 2 just keeps shattering records. With this weekend’s estimated domestic grosses of $364.2 million and an international of $542 million, the toon has reached the $900 million marker worldwide ($906.2 million). It is the biggest animated film of the year and the 2nd highest grossing of 2013 worldwide. It’s the 5th highest grossing toon of all time worldwide as well as the 6th highest grossing animated film of all time at the overseas box office. Internationally, DM2 has opened #1 in 67 territories and is Universal’s 2nd highest grossing film worldwide behind only Jurassic Park. NBCUniversal chief Steve Burke told an earnings call this past July that DM2 is the most profitable film in the studio’s 101-year history – which is saying a lot though I’m certain not accounting for inflation or higher ticket prices.
‘Despicable Me 2’ Passes $900M Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscars: Best Picture Envelope Disaster Can't Take Away Triumph Of Best Academy Awards Show In Many A Moon(light)
Emma Stone On 'La La Land' & 'Moonlight' Best Picture Snafu: "I Was Holding The Best Actress Card The Entire Time"
Latest Film News
- PwC Exec Cancels CNN Segment “Apparently On Orders From The Academy,” Anderson Cooper Says
- U.S. State Department Deletes Tweet Congratulating Iranian Director After ‘Salesman’ Oscar Win
- Jaime King To Stir It Up In ‘How To Cook Your Daughter’
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Chairman Says Best Picture Gaffe Was “A Human Error”
- Sakina Jaffrey Cast In Fox’s ‘Red Sparrow’; Bill Marchant Joins Sci-Fi Indie ‘Volition’
- Donald Trump Takes Credit For Oscars Best Picture Snafu