Universal Pictures and Chris Meledandri‘s Illumination Entertainment announced this morning that Despicable Me 2 just keeps shattering records. With this weekend’s estimated domestic grosses of $364.2 million and an international of $542 million, the toon has reached the $900 million marker worldwide ($906.2 million). It is the biggest animated film of the year and the 2nd highest grossing of 2013 worldwide. It’s the 5th highest grossing toon of all time worldwide as well as the 6th highest grossing animated film of all time at the overseas box office. Internationally, DM2 has opened #1 in 67 territories and is Universal’s 2nd highest grossing film worldwide behind only Jurassic Park. NBCUniversal chief Steve Burke told an earnings call this past July that DM2 is the most profitable film in the studio’s 101-year history – which is saying a lot though I’m certain not accounting for inflation or higher ticket prices.
‘Despicable Me 2’ Passes $900M Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
Bankruptcy Reveals Wild List Of Who The Weinstein Company Owes Money To: Malia Obama, David Bowie, Michael Bay
Exiting Fox News Analyst Blasts Network As "Propaganda Machine" For "Ethically Ruinous Administration"
Latest Film News
- As The Weinstein World Turns, Industry Asks: Who Is Lantern Asset Management?
- Busy Sundance Producer Rachel Song Launches China Production Company
- No. 8 ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament
- Bankruptcy Court Approves Weinstein Co.’s Plans To Keep Lights On, Employees Paid
- ‘Isle Of Dogs’ Review: Wes Anderson’s Weirdly Wonderful Canine Epic Is A Toon Worth Telling
- Behind The MGM Shakeup Shocker! What Happened To Instigate MGM Chairman/CEO Gary Barber’s Ouster?