Universal Pictures and Chris Meledandri‘s Illumination Entertainment announced this morning that Despicable Me 2 just keeps shattering records. With this weekend’s estimated domestic grosses of $364.2 million and an international of $542 million, the toon has reached the $900 million marker worldwide ($906.2 million). It is the biggest animated film of the year and the 2nd highest grossing of 2013 worldwide. It’s the 5th highest grossing toon of all time worldwide as well as the 6th highest grossing animated film of all time at the overseas box office. Internationally, DM2 has opened #1 in 67 territories and is Universal’s 2nd highest grossing film worldwide behind only Jurassic Park. NBCUniversal chief Steve Burke told an earnings call this past July that DM2 is the most profitable film in the studio’s 101-year history – which is saying a lot though I’m certain not accounting for inflation or higher ticket prices.
‘Despicable Me 2’ Passes $900M Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
TV Review: Fox's 'A Christmas Story Live!' Brings Oscar & Tony Winners Benj Pasek And Justin Paul To TV Audience
John Skipper Resigns As ESPN President; Admits Substance Abuse Problem; George Bodenheimer New Acting Chairman
Latest Film News
- Casting Society Issues Open Call To Performers With Disabilities
- The Bart & Fleming Podcast: Codes Of Conduct
- MoMA’s 17th Doc Fortnight Sets Opening And Closing, Jonathan Demme Tribute
- ‘Dear White People’ Star Logan Browning Joins Allison Willliams In 'The Perfection'
- ‘The Florida Project’ Cinematographer Alexis Zabe On Gorgeously-Realized ‘Little Rascals’ For The…
- How Ridley Scott, Dan Friedkin, Runner-Up Christopher Plummer & $10M Reshoot Ransomed Getty Kidnap Pic Back From Kevin Spacey…