Universal Pictures and Chris Meledandri‘s Illumination Entertainment announced this morning that Despicable Me 2 just keeps shattering records. With this weekend’s estimated domestic grosses of $364.2 million and an international of $542 million, the toon has reached the $900 million marker worldwide ($906.2 million). It is the biggest animated film of the year and the 2nd highest grossing of 2013 worldwide. It’s the 5th highest grossing toon of all time worldwide as well as the 6th highest grossing animated film of all time at the overseas box office. Internationally, DM2 has opened #1 in 67 territories and is Universal’s 2nd highest grossing film worldwide behind only Jurassic Park. NBCUniversal chief Steve Burke told an earnings call this past July that DM2 is the most profitable film in the studio’s 101-year history – which is saying a lot though I’m certain not accounting for inflation or higher ticket prices.
‘Despicable Me 2’ Passes $900M Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
Stephen Colbert: Donald Trump Looked Un-Prepared At Debate, Hillary Clinton Looked "Like Preparation H"
Hollywood Wastes No Time Responding To Donald & Hillary; Megyn Kelly & Rosie O'Donnell Get The Last Word, For Now
Latest Film News
- Oscars: Italy’s Foreign Language Entry ‘Fire At Sea’ Also Will Be Pushed In Documentary
- ‘Magnificent Seven’ Lassos $59.3M Worldwide & Record $34.7M U.S. Opening For Antoine Fuqua – Monday…
- Molly Parker, Miranda July & Newcomer Helena Howard Topline Indie Pic ‘Movie No. 1’
- L.A. OKs 17% Fee Hike For On-Location Fire Safety Officers
- Kyle Bornheimer Joins Netflix’s ‘Little Evil’; Mira Sorvino Goes ‘Behind The Glass’
- ‘Pacific Rim 2’ Adds ‘Emerald City’s Adria Arjona