From 1600s France to 1930s Hollywood. The CW, which launched its first period drama this fall with Reign, is exploring a more recent past with Players, a one-hour drama set against the Golden Age of Hollywood. Produced by Warner Bros. TV and Ellen DeGeneres‘ studio-based A Very Good Production, Players centers on a young Midwestern woman who moves to Los Angeles to avenge her sister’s death at the hands of a predatory studio head and finds herself swept up in the Hollywood star-making machine, unwittingly becoming the ingénue in a closeted movie star’s “lavender marriage”, and a pawn in a studio fixer’s scheme against the mob. Nina Fiore and John Herrera (Alphas) will write the script, with Danny Cannon set to direct. Cannon and AVGP’s DeGeneres and Jeff Kleeman executive produce, with Fiore and Herrera serving as supervising producers. CAA-repped Cannon is director/executive producer of the CW’s newcomer The Tomorrow People and departing Nikita after helming both pilots. Players joins another period drama in the works at the CW this season, a surf project set in 1961 Malibu. ICM Partners-repped AVGP also has a drama from Lauren Graham at the CW as well as a comedy toplined by viral stars Sophia Grace and Rosie at NBC and a comedy from Judge Greg Mathis at Fox.
CW Buys 1930s Hollywood Drama Produced By Ellen DeGeneres; Danny Cannon To Helm
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Jon Turteltaub Producing CBS Family Comedy
- HBO & Playtone Take On Battle Against Offshoring With 'Factory Man' Miniseries
- Grant Gish Upped To VP Animation At 20th Century Fox TV
- Amazon Orders Soccer Kids Comedy Pilot 'The Kicks'
- NBC Eyes Horror Anthology Series From Jason Blum, Tony Krantz & Endemol
- Peter Segal To Direct & Executive Produce MTV's Ken Jeong Comedy Pilot