EXCLUSIVE: In a recent story, I noted that gymnastics, one of the consistently most popular Olympic sports, could be a new hot area in the reality TV space. I can now confirm that CORE Media is developing Celebrity Champions, an original format that will see former Olympians coach celebrities – be they dancers, musicians, actors or athletes – in various disciplines. Those will include bars, floor, rings and vault. Gold medalist Mary Lou Retton is attached as the anchor judge on the project which was brought to CORE by Shauna Thomas, Triana Lavey, and 1996 Olympic team member John Macready. The trio will produce Celebrity Champions with CORE. Other former Olympians attached to participate include Shannon Miller and Paul Hamm. CORE is currently talking to U.S. networks about the project. Sport-themed celebrity reality series have had rough going this year, most recently with the injury-plagued Splash. Of Celebrity Champions, CORE head of U.S. TV, Jen O’Connell, says it will be critical that participants are “physically up for the task.” The plan is to be “smart about casting and put in the proper training time to ensure success, a great performance and lower the potential for injury.”
CORE Media Vaults On Celeb Gymnastics Series; Mary Lou Retton Attached As Judge
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Venice: Bogdanovich Unveils Screwball Comedy 'She's Funny That Way', Riffs On 'Lost Hollywood'
- Global Showbiz Briefs Chinese Web Giant Youku Launches Heyi Film; eOne Acquires 'Seed' Producer Force Four; More
- Venice: Lido Digs Story Of Charlie Chaplin Graverobbers 'The Price Of Fame'
- World Film Community Joins Hands In Support Of Shuttered Beijing Festival
- Venice: 'Act Of Killing' Follow-Up 'The Look Of Silence' Makes Noise On The Lido (Video)
- Hot Trailer: Omar Sy As 'Samba' In 'Intouchables' Helmers' Latest