This is a big upgrade for Comcast subscribers who have Apple or Android mobile devices with the company’s Xfinity TV Go app — the new name for its Xfinity TV Player App. At some point over the next two weeks they’ll be able to stream about 35 channels and 25,000 VOD choices including when they’re away from home. In addition, Comcast says that thousands of movies and TV shows will be available to be downloaded. Cable and satellite companies consider out-of-home viewing to be a key feature for their TV Everywhere initiatives — but some programmers have insisted that they be paid extra for those rights. Channels available to mobile streamers will include BBC World News, beIN Sport, beIN Sport Español, Big Ten Network, CNBC, CNN, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPN Deportes, ESPNews, ESPNU, Fox Business Channel, Fox News Channel, Fox Sports 1, FX, FXX, Golf Channel, HLN, MSNBC, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo Wild, NBC Sports Network and Pac-12 Networks. “Television isn’t just about the living room anymore,” says Charlie Herrin, Comcast Cable’s SVP for Product Design and Development. There’s one quirk in the system, though: Streaming will be available via WiFi and Verizon Wireless’ broadband network — but not on AT&T, Sprint, or TMobile. The cable company and Verizon have an agreement to cross-promote each other’s services in markets where they don’t compete head-to-head.
Comcast Prepares To Offer Out-Of-Home Streaming To Mobile Devices
What's Hot on Deadline
Emma Stone On 'La La Land' & 'Moonlight' Best Picture Snafu: "I Was Holding The Best Actress Card The Entire Time"
Latest Business News
- Oscars: ‘Manchester By The Sea’ Writer Kenneth Lonergan Says Creative Control Is A Vital Point In WGA…
- Spokesperson Explains Donald Trump’s Press Dinner No-Show: “We Spend Enough Time Around Each Other”
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- President Donald Trump Will Not Attend White House Correspondents’ Dinner; Event Will Go On As Scheduled (Update)
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ Grosses Massive $70M In Two Days, $33M First Day In China