This is a big upgrade for Comcast subscribers who have Apple or Android mobile devices with the company’s Xfinity TV Go app — the new name for its Xfinity TV Player App. At some point over the next two weeks they’ll be able to stream about 35 channels and 25,000 VOD choices including when they’re away from home. In addition, Comcast says that thousands of movies and TV shows will be available to be downloaded. Cable and satellite companies consider out-of-home viewing to be a key feature for their TV Everywhere initiatives — but some programmers have insisted that they be paid extra for those rights. Channels available to mobile streamers will include BBC World News, beIN Sport, beIN Sport Español, Big Ten Network, CNBC, CNN, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPN Deportes, ESPNews, ESPNU, Fox Business Channel, Fox News Channel, Fox Sports 1, FX, FXX, Golf Channel, HLN, MSNBC, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo Wild, NBC Sports Network and Pac-12 Networks. “Television isn’t just about the living room anymore,” says Charlie Herrin, Comcast Cable’s SVP for Product Design and Development. There’s one quirk in the system, though: Streaming will be available via WiFi and Verizon Wireless’ broadband network — but not on AT&T, Sprint, or TMobile. The cable company and Verizon have an agreement to cross-promote each other’s services in markets where they don’t compete head-to-head.
Comcast Prepares To Offer Out-Of-Home Streaming To Mobile Devices
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Business News
- Weinstein Co. Bidder Emerges, Promises Majority Female Leadership
- Ava DuVernay & Ryan Coogler Celebrate People Of Color In Film: “A Hero Doesn’t Have To Be Defined So Narrowly”…
- Earle Hyman Dies: Veteran Broadway Actor, Cosby TV Dad Was 91
- President Donald Trump On LaVar Ball Diss: “I Should Have Left Them In Jail!”
- Mel Tillis Dies: The Country Music Hall Of Famer And Actor Was 85
- NFL Anthem Protests Week 11 – Kneeling Continues After Veteran’s Day Respite