The prolific author claims in a new lawsuit that an LA man has falsely claimed that he controls the rights to a recent series of adventure books by Clive Cussler. In a suit filed Tuesday in LA Superior Court (read it here), the Sahara and Raise The Titanic author says John Fassett – “who represents himself as a motion picture and film producer,” according to the suit — was claiming rights to The Oregon Files and using names including Cussler Studios and Oregon Entertainment Group “to obtain substantial sums of money from third parties to which defendants are not entitled and by which defendants have been unjustly enriched.” Cussler is suing for unfair competition and slander of title, among other causes, and is seeking a permanent injunction against using the author’s name or claiming rights to the book series. He also seeks tripled damages, punitive damages and restitution. Attorneys Bert Fields, Charles N. Shephard, Caroline S. Heindel of Green Glusker Fields of Los Angeles represent the plaintiff.
Clive Cussler Sues Producer Over Claim Of Rights To ‘The Oregon Files’ Novels
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'