California Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Los Angeles) and Senator Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) today announced a plan to introduce new film and television production tax credits for the state in January 2014, when the legislature returns from interim recess. Competitition from out-of-state incentive programs have been a prime concern in recent years particularly in Gatto’s Southern California district which spans Burbank, Glendale, and Hollywood and includes many of LA’s most prominent studios and post-facilities including DreamWorks, Disney, Universal, and Warner Bros. But Gatto and De Leon don’t expect an easy road ahead. They’re meeting with industry and studio figures as well as below the line pros and small business owners to gather feedback before setting the parameters of their proposed bill. “I think the entire program needs rethinking – not just renewing and throwing more money at it. We need to make incentives bigger and make them smarter and spend funds on things that matter,” Gatto told Deadline.
CA Pols Announce Plan To Propose 2014 Bill Boosting Film and TV Tax Credits
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Latest Film News
- ‘On Her Shoulders’: Alexandria Bombach’s Sundance Docu Reveals Price Of Becoming Voice Of A People
- USC Scripter Awards Nominations: Ties Make For Loaded Flim & TV Field
- '70s Screen Icon Pam Grier Speaks On Sex Harassment & Her Biopic With Jay Pharoah Playing Richard Pryor
- Trevor Jackson & Jason Mitchell To Star In Sony’s ‘Superfly’ Remake From Director X; Future, Steven R. Shore…
- Saudi Arabia Fund Eyeing Endeavor Stake; May Invest $500M+ In WME Parent
- VES Awards Nominations: ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Latest ‘Apes’ Lead Film; ‘Thrones’ Rules All With…