EXCLUSIVE: Seems the stakes are rising on Paramount’s The Gambler. Brie Larson is in negotiations to play the female lead opposite Mark Wahlberg in the remake of the 1974 James Caan pic, I’ve learned. Talks are in a very early stage and details of her role are sketchy, but it could all come together in the next few days. The role would be another step into studio movies for the actress, who starred in 21 Jump Street last year. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes helmer Rupert Wyatt is set to direct the new Gambler from a script by William Monahan. Larson may not be the only new addition: The studio and producers are looking to bring American Horror Story star Jessica Lange on board as well. In August, Larson won the Best Actress Award at the Locarno Film Festival for her turn as a troubled social worker in Short Term 12, and she also was recently seen in the Sundance pic The Spectacular Now and Joe Gordon-Levitt’s Don Jon. She is repped by Gersh and managed by ROAR.
Brie Larson In Talks To Join Mark Wahlberg In Paramount Remake ‘The Gambler’
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Film News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ At Milestones – Intl…
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency