ABC News President Ben Sherwood made the announcement this morning, noting that Bill Weir gave notice that he was departing “for another opportunity in the news business.” Dan Harris, who has co-anchored the weekend edition of Good Morning America since 2010, will replace Weir as co-anchor of Nightline alongside Cynthia McFadden and Dan Abrams while continuing in his role at GMA Weekend. Weir, former sports anchor for Los Angeles’ KABC-7, helped launch GMA Weekend in 2004 and served as co-anchor until moving to Nightline in 2010, succeeded by Harris. “Bill’s style is singular; his voice unique; and we will miss him and, yes, his turkey frying safety tips,” Sherwood said.
Bill Weir Leaving ABC News, Dan Harris To Replace Him As ‘Nightline’ Co-Anchor
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Adam Levine To Produce Autobiographical 1990s Family Comedy For NBC
- Ted Gold Joins Spike TV As Head Of Scripted Series
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'